Which long range target rifle to buy

catorres1

So after various posts, I came to the conclusion of what I wanted, based on my personal needs, but also found that it does not exist, unless I go a custom route, which I cannot afford right now.

The rifle's purpose is for up to 1k shooting at targets and steel. It will be paired with a light 300 WM that's main purpose is my hunting rifle (it replaces a light 375, so recoil is not really an issue here as much for hunting etc.). As the 300 has to be carried, it needs to be light (7lb rifle, 8.5 with scope etc.), so the barrel will, I believe, be too light for extended shooting sessions (as in a class), and recoil will be tiresome over 2 days of shooting or whatever.

So I am going to have a second rifle for training and targets. Heavy barrel, higher weight, lower recoil. The ideal rifle would be a copy of the hunting rifle, that is a Vanguard in a B&C stock. Same trigger etc. I'd choose 6.5 creedmore or 260 rem, 26" barrel. But that can only happen with a custom job, and I can't afford that at the moment, and would prefer to have something moderate in general for the purpose. BTW, I like Vanguards because that style of stock fits me properly, others shapes, not as much.

So I have 3 basic options, and I would like the opinion of some long range shooters of which to pursue within these parameters. Remember, the stock, ideally, would be identical to the 300, or close if that is not possible. In addition, caliber is very important here because it defines what's available. I would like one, if possible, that closely mimics the 300 in terms of wind drift. Drop, not so much, but wind is important. And I do reload all my ammo, so factory specs are not important.

Choice1.
6.5 Savage LRH or Predator Hunter Max1
Good: Gets me the caliber I ideally want
Bad: Don't like the stock, and it's very different configuration is in opposition to having a somewhat matched set.
Cost is higher than the other two options out of the box.
No stock I really like exists for these rifles, except for maybe a McMillan or Manners, which cost too much for me. And even these are not 'ideal'.
6.5/260, though probably the best choice ballistically, are the hardest of the three to get components for.

Choice 2
Remington Long Range Hunter in 7mag
Good: Good price, equal to option 3, but no changes ever necessary (if it shoots and I accept the stock as is)
Stock is the B&C M42. While not the same as the Vanguard, it at least has the raised comb that I need and is quality B&C. Technically, I could buy the exact B&C stock as on the 300 for another 250 if I wanted. But that would jack the price up a bit.
I can load down and get near 308 levels of recoil, but still match the drift on the 300 with the right bullets.
A 168 going 2740 only uses about 45 grains of 4064, which is what a 308 uses to hit about the same speed with a 165. Recoil difference in a 10lb rifle is 14.1 vs 13.5 (advantage 308). But .6 lbs, I will not notice.
Aftermarket support is unrivaled, though I am not planning to change stuff. Want to configure, and then forget it and spend my money shooting.
Bad: I am not confident in Remington's 'out of box' accuaracy, and I don't want to have to spend to get it to under MOA. I need it serviceable from the box.
Different trigger to the Vanguard
Stock is not identical...the missing cheek piece, the drop etc. is different. Good, but different.
7mag is more powerful than I wanted, and a lot more like the 300 than I had in mind. It does not come in 260, and 25-06 does not meet my needs due to BC of 25 caliber bullets.
The Remingtion uses a 9.25 twist, so I don't know if I wanted to use longer bullets if they will stabilize above, say, 168 or 170.

Choice 3
Weatherby Vanguard Varmint Range Certified in 308
Good: Other than the wide forearm (which is good in this case) this stock is identical to the one on the 300, pretty much exactly what I had in mind. If this rifle was in 6.5/260, this is what I want.
Trigger is identical
308 components are relatively cheap and easy to find.
Bullets can be shared with the 300
Price I found on it is the lowest of all
Range Certified by Weatherby and guaranteed. I will know from the box it shoots under 1 MOA (and likely .75 to .5), have the target, and know what load was used to do this.
Bad: Mainly, just the barrel....It does not come in 260/6.5, it's a 308, and a 12 twist at that. So I assume I would be limited to 168's or so. Only 22" as well.
So that means wind drift wise, it just cannot keep up with the others at 1k.
I also have some opportunity to shoot out to 1.2k in a class...I don't think this one will be up to it, so I would have to limit, I assume.
If I want it in a 6.5 or even a 7-08, I have to rebarrel, which looks like a $600 project. That's well over what I had intended to spend. However, I could shoot it as is for now, and then rebarrel later when I have more money. But that could be a LONG time, and in the meantime, I'd be dealing with two different wind drift behaviors, and maybe finding shooting a 308 at 1k frustrating? I don't know, I don't have the experience yet. That's what the classes are for.

So easiest, but least sure is the Remington in 7mm. If it shoots out of the box, I can just make some light loads and I'm done.

The cheapest way to get into a 260 is with the Savage. But it's not guaranteed either, and the stock I really don't like. It is the most expensive out of the box,

The Vanguard is perfect in fit, etc., but the cartridge is the weakest choice of all three to my mind...ballistically, it least matches the 300. While it starts out as the cheapest and, accuracy wise, surest option, to get it to shoot like the 300 ballistically would ultimately make it the most expensive. So to put it to the experts...the question is 308...is it good enough? How much in training is it important to ensure both rifles share very similar drift characteristics etc.?

Thanks!

With option 2, Remington offers the 700 LR in .30-06 as well. Which has slightly more recoil and velocity than the .308 Win, and less than the .300WM.

Thanks for the response!

I think the way it's going in my head is for this rifle, I would prefer a non 30 if I can help it. 6.5 seems the best for this purpose, 7mm being second, 30 being last because I am trying to have a high BC bullet with low recoil. The 260 and 7mm do that quite well, but another 30, not so well. Yes, the 3006 will be able to push heavier bullets faster than the 308, but then the recoil difference between it and the 300 really start to diminish.

The only reason I consider the 308 in the weatherby is because the only other options are slow twist 223 and 22-250. Everything else about the rifle is right (stock, trigger, range certified etc.), but the caliber is (maybe?) wrong. That being said, I see that 308 easily stays super sonic to 1k and beyond with a berger 168, unlike what I was just told by someone.

Unless someone has a compelling reason to go with the Savage (other than it being the right caliber for me) the choice comes down to 'is the Remington LR rifle consistently accurate out of the box...and does my thinking on the 7mm make sense' verses 'is the 308 good enough for 1k+ target shooting and does it matter that it's wind drift characteristics differ so much from my primary 300 win mag'

To put it another way, between these two, the Remington seems to have the ballistics, with questionable accuracy (maybe yes, maybe no) and not as good ergonomics for me, the vanguard has the accuracy certainty along with the matched ergonomics, but perhaps not the ballistic capability....

No one can guarantee accuracy of an out of the box rifle...I have a $2,100 Weatherby that came from the factory with a junk barrel. You just never know.

I have never bought a new Remington that had any issues. I bought a used one that wouldn't shoot, but I also never gave it much of a chance, to be honest. It wasn't in a caliber I was interested in, so I bought a new takeoff Remington barrel (in the caliber I wanted) off ebay for $85 and had my smith true the action, bed it, float it, and install the barrel and set the headspace. Couple hundred bucks later I had a worked-over factory rifle that shot 5/8" groups at 100 with handloads, and had less than $750 in it total...Including buying the rifle used.

If the 700 LR in 7mmRM won't shoot to your expectations, a couple small cheap tricks should get it shooting (bedding the action, tuning the trigger, floating the barrel). And if those don't work, then you might need to break the rifle down and have a smith rework all the parts, recut the chamber, reset the headspace, true the action, maybe hand-lap the bore... Then it should definitely shoot.

With option 2, Remington offers the 700 LR in .30-06 as well. Which has slightly more recoil and velocity than the .308 Win, and less than the .300WM.
I agree, as I read the op's post. The 30-06 kept popping in my head it has only a couple inches more of drift than the .300 with same bullet. Gives the option of using same bullet for both and the barrel life is pretty good..

Yeah, I know all about the accuracy issues! Had a rifle that I put a lot of time and money and hope in this year, ended up being just a ho hum shooter. Not bad, just not what I needed.

Weatherby guarantees every Vanguard will shot 3 into an inch. My son's does .5. But that's a kinda scare guarantee because you are in the place of figuring out with 'what'? You can call the custom shop and they will tell you what they test with, but the onus is still on you to prove it does or it does not.

That's why I am leaning towards their RC guns. Yes, they are a bit more expensive. But with all the money I wasted this year chasing shadows, RC is a bargain. Having them not only promise, but do the testing, supply proof and tell you what they used to do it is valuable to me. It's not just a 'we're pretty sure it will' guarantee, it's now a 'tested to make sure it does' guarantee, and I like that.

It does take a good company to make that useful, however. They could always just lie. But from what I know about the company, and in my experience with them, it's worth a risk for me.

In addition, in this case, the Vanguard option I am looking at is cheaper than my other two options, so it's a pretty good situation. Again, if it were available in a 260 or 7mm, I would not be putting this post up. The price is right, the configuration is perfect, it fits nicely. It's just not in a the caliber that seems best.

I could just shoot it for a while and then plan a rebarrel down the road to 260/6.5, but that makes it expensive.

Another thought about the remington, though, it comes with an M40 stock. B&C also make the Weatherby stock on the 300 for long action remingtons. So I wonder if there would be a market to sell the M40 right off before even using it and use that money to finance the other stock for the Remington. That would be a good setup, I think.

Still, it comes down to whether the 7mm or the 308 would be a better trainer when paired with a 300 for 1k shooting...all things considered. That really might be the crux of things. If the answer is strongly for the 7mm, then maybe I need to take a risk on the Remington.

Look for a barrel for the savage on www.savageshooters.com or completed gun.

Doubt you are going to get a " matched pair" very easily or cheaply.

Yeah, and therein lies the problem. If money were not so tight, I would buy the Vanguard and then immediately have it rebarreled in 6.5 creedmoor and it would be done and dusted. But that option brings me up to about $1300 or so. I am trying to stick to around $700 for this particular rifle. That's about what the Vanguard RC 308 will cost, and also what the Remington (if I can find one!) will cost. The Savage starts higher.

Conceivably, if I was confident that the Remmy would shoot without more money piling in, I would buy it, swap the stock for the one I really want, and be in it for about 1kish. But if it won't shoot, like the one I just got rid of, then I'm screwed...again.

Money is always, it seems, the obstacle!

These are kinda pricey for me, I think...but I sure would like to see one to see how the stock feels. I really need a very high comb for my build, and ideally, a thick cheek piece to go with it. I checked out a Hill Country Custom rifle today at Cabelas. I don't know what stock was on it, but it was so perfect for me. Course, the gun was like $5500!

I may try and locate one of these and see how they feel. But the standard 'classic' stocks don't work so well for me. That Weatherby style has never been aesthetically pleasing to me, but I finally tried one recently and realized that that was what actually fit me.

I agree, as I read the op's post. The 30-06 kept popping in my head it has only a couple inches more of drift than the .300 with same bullet. Gives the option of using same bullet for both and the barrel life is pretty good..

I'll have to look at the ballistics on this and the recoil numbers. But to my mind, I always thought that if I wanted to shoot 3006 speeds, I'd just download the 300. But I would much prefer a smaller caliber, lighter bullet in this case. The only reason I consider the 308 is because of the rifle it comes in.

Otherwise, it would not cross my mind. Just going cartridge vs cartridge, for my purposes in this specific rifle, I'd think the 7 mag would be the better choice over the 3006 or the 308.

But I'll have to run the recoil numbers on that, and, of course, I'd need different components, but I can live with that.

Just fyi, a 12 twist barrel can handle up to a 200gr bullet depending on what you pick. The VLD style won't in a twelve above 190. But on rare occasions they will work okay for 210 berger. Not ideal. My 12 twist handles the 200 SGK, and the hornady 208 A-max. Again it's on the edge of stability, but works.

even though i shoot rem/sako. i say a savage lrp for target and metal. weight is an asset.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.