Which long range target rifle to buy

Ahh, figured out what it is. Accusport had a special run of these made...

Yes, it is a special run Sendero.

No, they don't make a 5R in anything else but .308 Win and .300WM. I have been preaching for years that they need to offer them in 7mm RemMag...But I guess nobody out there in virtual land is listening that works for Remington.

What I like about it most is the M40 stock. Fits pretty well. But that cerekoted fluted barrel is pretty nice too!

Still, the recoil levels are probably a bit much for an all day shooter. 20 or so pounds is not at all terrible, but compared to the, like 11 or something, of a 260, that's pretty significant. Even 15 vs 20 is probably significant, though I don't really know for sure.

Well, gotta just see how things sort out over the next month. I think I'll probably just let this set for a few weeks while I carefully mull over the options and see what presets itself.

The weatherby vanguard is still a pretty strong contender...it has the right stock, a good solid action and is still relatively cheap. Second probably would be a Rem LR rifle. Both have good stocks. Rebarrel either and the price comes to somewhere around 12-1400. Essentially, I would be paying 6-800 for an action and a B&C stock. Even starting with the cheapest SPS, by the time I replace barrel and stock, I can't do better I don't think.

Just drove up the road to my favorite gun shop (not the one by my house) and traded off the .257 Wby Accumark for a new Rem 700 5R 26" 1:10 .300 WM... I boutht the .257 Wby new from this same gun store back in 2008, and they take good care of their loyal and repeat customers. I set a minimum (fair) trade-in value in my mind, and that's what they offered me for it, so I took the offer. So now I have twin 5R Milspecs (.308 Win & .300 WM). Everybody's happy happy happy. :D

Can't wait to work up a 210 VLD and 215 Hybrid load for it.

Just drove up the road to my favorite gun shop (not the one by my house) and traded off the .257 Wby Accumark for a new Rem 700 5R 26" 1:10 .300 WM... I boutht the .257 Wby new from this same gun store back in 2008, and they take good care of their loyal and repeat customers. I set a minimum (fair) trade-in value in my mind, and that's what they offered me for it, so I took the offer. So now I have twin 5R Milspecs (.308 Win & .300 WM). Everybody's happy happy happy. :D

Can't wait to work up a 210 VLD and 215 Hybrid load for it.

Congratulations! Please keep us apprized of how it goes. I spent a lot of time trying to organize my options in my head, and the 300 mag 5r is on that list of 3.

What did you pay for yours? The acusport one that I have locally (black cerekot, 26" fluted barrel, M40 stock), they are asking almost 1200 for. That seems a bit steep considering I can get a rem LR for 6-700 that has the same action, stock and trigger, and then throw another 600 at it for a Kreiger or whatever install.

But maybe I can find a better deal, not sure, and not sure that's the best route for my needs at the moment.

I did note that acusport sold a 5r just like the one I am describing in 308...that would be pretty tempting...I found one that had been for sale in 2013...but none lately.

Congratulations! Please keep us apprized of how it goes. I spent a lot of time trying to organize my options in my head, and the 300 mag 5r is on that list of 3.

What did you pay for yours? The acusport one that I have locally (black cerekot, 26" fluted barrel, M40 stock), they are asking almost 1200 for. That seems a bit steep considering I can get a rem LR for 6-700 that has the same action, stock and trigger, and then throw another 600 at it for a Kreiger or whatever install.

But maybe I can find a better deal, not sure, and not sure that's the best route for my needs at the moment.

I did note that acusport sold a 5r just like the one I am describing in 308...that would be pretty tempting...I found one that had been for sale in 2013...but none lately.
I paid $100 out the door for mine... :D No joke. That was the difference between my Accumark's trade-in value and the tax and difference in price of the 5R. But they were selling them for $1099, which is what I paid for my 5R .308 (at the same store back in 2010). Whereas my local store wants $1,399 for them, because people around here don't know that for 3 hours of driving round-trip and $20 in gas you can save $300 by going up the road to where I shop for my new guns.

Here's the twins... I'll order my base, rings, and scope when I sell or trade one of my other scopes that I don't use much anymore.

2174C4BB-B1C1-4FA4-95F8-6AD97F3CD426_zpskpq1aknr.jpg

Hey mud, what scope do you have on the .308?

El cheapo especial...But since the .308 has minimum recoil it works good. The .308 has a Konus M-30 8.5-32x52 with a 0 MOA EGW HD base (couldn't zero with a 20MOA on it) and TPS TSR 30mm low aluminum rings.

Thanks for putting that up! I did see that one and have been reading up on what it would take to have a good shooter in a remmy on a budget in the caliber I want.

Unfortunately, as its for Remington, it means to get the caliber I want, I have to do a barrel swap, and a fair amount of work on it, which puts the cost up much higher, I think.

Let me know if you have a different way, but the only way I could see would be find a REALLY cheap action, and I dont' know if that is realistic. To put the numbers in perspective...700 for the barrel and install and bedding, 250 for the stock. So that's 950, and I don't have an action yet. And that assumes the trigger is good to go etc., and that there would not need to be additional work to the action to make it shoot well (ie I'd be trying to fit a short cartridge in a long action, so will it feed okay?). Certainly would give me headroom to seat bullets really long, that's for sure. And that would be a nice setup. But I doubt I could get an action with decent bottom metal for under 300, and probably more than that.

Ehh, the permutations are endless. I'm going to try and look at some Savages today and then think on this a little longer.

If you could find an action at a decent price you could go with the 6.5x284, that would be perfect in that long action for what you want. Not only that its also a great long range hunting cartridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.