Which short action magnum?

Is the 6.8 Western based off a short action?

Yes—it fits much better than a wsm by far—build the 6.8 western with a WSM mag box and you will have plenty of room…the only thing I hate is a see the 6.8 Western with limited help in the ammo department—-it was not Hornady or Noslers idea and they seem to kind rule the roost now in availability. It's a well thought out cartridge—kind of the best of the shorts I've seen. I see a lot of potential with the 170 EOL and the 156 hammer…good luck in your selection

Norma brass is currently out of stock.
NOT, in Boise !
Several Bags of it at, Cliff's GS,.. kinda, "Spendy", tho ( BUT, what's not, these Days )
$98.00 per 50,.. IIRC
My .270 WSM loaded with, 140 Berger Classic Hunters are, 2.865" Long, IF that, "Fits" in the OP's,.. Magazine ?
.270 cal. 130, 140, 150 gr. Bergers and Hornady 145 grain, ELD-X's ARE,. readily, available,..
AND, "Plenty" ( the 130's - 140's ARE, feakin',.. "Lazers" ! ) for,.. Whitetail or, Mule Deer

Last edited:
I have a Browning Mountain Ti in 7mm WSM that weighs 5.5 lbs without scope or sling. I shoot Berger 168 VLD at 2850 fps (loaded light) and it kills everything DRT including javelina, deer, aoudad, and elk, The Bergers are single load and backed up by 160 Barnes that fit in the magazine.

That said, if I had it to do over again, I think I'd go with the .277. Less bullet choices, but that is changing fast, and in my experience the 7mm WSM cases have been harder to find, although Hornady has them available now. The lighter the bullet, the less the recoil, and the more fun it is to shoot.

The Berger EOL, Nosler ABLR, Badlands SBD-2, Hornady ELD-X, Hammers, Cutting Edge Lazer, Sierra GK. All have 270s with high BC requiring a 1-8 or even 1-7 barrel.

I can't think of too many other options than those in 6.5 or 7 for high BC bullets that need custom twist.
I digress. I had not done my homework to realize that there were that many. Possibly because I don't regularly use but one of those bullets that you mentioned. Not saying they aren't terrific bullets, I just don't have experience with them. I'll take a look. Thanks!

I shoot Berger 168 VLD at 2850 fps (loaded light) and it kills everything DRT including javelina, deer, aoudad, and elk, The Bergers are single load and backed up by 160 Barnes that fit in the magazine.
That's interesting. If you need a quick follow up, how do you compensate for the dramatic poi change, especially at distance due to drop? And wind.

If you do not want to re-load every round.....and want o use decent factory ammo...based on what you are seeking- look at the 6.5 PRC. I think the current ill will many feel when one mentions "6.5" is they instantly think you are going to say "Creedmoor" This is NOT a Creedmoor. It is a short action magnum ( I think the parent case is the .300wsm or the .300 rim...?) and the wind cutting, hard punching round is readily available and being well supported as a factory chambering now. Just for grins - look at the ballistics and compare this round for wind drift, drop, and ft/lbs. of energy @ 500 yards. Notice it bests my beloved old .300 WM...crazy but true. I was able to take a big bodied bull Elk with its in Oct. - and using a 147gt MATCH bullet from Hornady ( ELD-M ammo ). Just another option for you....

I should have said in my first post, I will be deer hunting in NC with no need for anything more than a 30-30 probably but there's a difference between a need and a want. Despite what my mom still says, I'm not old enough that my wants won't hurt me 😂. I get the whole, a deer won't know the difference between the 270 Win or the WSM or lots and lots of other calibers but I like different cartridges. Gotta have options!
You are right. Any rifle will do for deer inside 300 yards. If you think you will be shooting elk or bear in the west at long ranges, that is another matter. If you want to solve the short action issue, get a Tikka as that has more of a medium action. Are you hand loading or shooting factory ammo? If hand loading you would probably be happy with the all copper hammer hunter bullets at shorter ranges out to 400 yards or so. Beyond that I do not find them ideal. I love my 300 WSM you could load that light and fast for shorter ranges and still have the option to shoot a big heavy pill if you ever needed to kill something big or at distance.

If you want a .277, build.the .270WSM.
170 Berger Elite or 175 Sierra TGK will crush game!
That much Power and the accompanying, Recoil,.. AIN'T Necessary for, Whitetails !
Anything from, a .243 Win / 6.5 Creed or, bigger, gets IT,.. "Done" on, Deer sized Game !
The .270 Win is, a MAGNIFICENT Cartridge for Deer and the "Lazer like", .270 WSM with, 130's / 140's, is,.. PLENTY of Gun,..
WITHOUT, the Recoil of, those, Heavier Bullets ( How Dead does, a Deer, need to,.. BE ?? )
PS; The .270 WSM with, Longer Bullets, probably, won't "Fit" in his, Short Action Rem 700, without, Major Expense for, Magazine mods.

Last edited:
If you do not want to re-load every round.....and want o use decent factory ammo...based on what you are seeking- look at the 6.5 PRC. I think the current ill will many feel when one mentions "6.5" is they instantly think you are going to say "Creedmoor" This is NOT a Creedmoor. It is a short action magnum ( I think the parent case is the .300wsm or the .300 rim...?) and the wind cutting, hard punching round is readily available and being well supported as a factory chambering now. Just for grins - look at the ballistics and compare this round for wind drift, drop, and ft/lbs. of energy @ 500 yards. Notice it bests my beloved old .300 WM...crazy but true. I was able to take a big bodied bull Elk with its in Oct. - and using a 147gt MATCH bullet from Hornady ( ELD-M ammo ). Just another option for you....
The PRC is based off a 300 RCM. "Ruger Compact Magnum".

Akmtnhnt, why would you need a follow up shot? Seriously, I don't shoot very long range. At 200 to 350 yards, or further, the game usually has no idea you're there, so a quick follow up isn't necessary. The Barnes shoot to almost the same POI out to 300. Only time I've ever even jacked one into the chamber in the field was when I was shooting to scare a mountain lion that was about 20 yards away in the dark. I jacked in that second round so fast that I never found the ejected brass. I think it landed in the next county. Once that bullet parted the hair on its head, the lion jumped 10 feet into the air and disappeared.

I should have said in my first post, I will be deer hunting in NC with no need for anything more than a 30-30 probably but there's a difference between a need and a want. Despite what my mom still says, I'm not old enough that my wants won't hurt me 😂. I get the whole, a deer won't know the difference between the 270 Win or the WSM or lots and lots of other calibers but I like different cartridges. Gotta have options!
Correct

I could have just stopped at my 270 (first gun) and realistically hunted everything I'll ever hunt with it.

BORING!!!!

I need to be done buying guns for a long time now but my centerfire collection is at 6 cartridges presently.

257 wby
300 win mag
8x57 mauser
.358 Norma. I love this cartridge. Not near as bad kick as I had expected AT ALL and a 280 swift a frame at 2800 fps gets my heart pounding with glee haha