Which short action magnum?

I built a 7 saum a couple years ago and it is really friendly and easy to work with. If you get the extended mag you'll be able to do the 162 flawlessly. I shoot 180eldm among other things at 2.95" and I don't lose anything meaningful in the case. Some guys get monster numbers when they load the saum long but I'm really happy with what I get.

The saum has better brass options, longer barrel life, works great with non mag primers, uses less powder, kicks less, is truly 308 length, and many think it's more accurate than the wsm. All while being only a couple fps behind the wsm.

In a perfect world you can have access to a giant array of proven bullets. Right now it sucks, but 162 and 180 eldms show up with some regularity. I've been using hammers and they're in stock amd tons of fun. I get 3230 with a 140g and some guys do better than that.

270 doesn't do anything the 7mm doesn't do. If you really wanted raw speed you could do 7-300wsm. Better brass than the original 7, longer neck. Almost certainly long for your action though.

I built a 7 saum a couple years ago and it is really friendly and easy to work with. If you get the extended mag you'll be able to do the 162 flawlessly. I shoot 180eldm among other things at 2.95" and I don't lose anything meaningful in the case. Some guys get monster numbers when they load the saum long but I'm really happy with what I get.

The saum has better brass options, longer barrel life, works great with non mag primers, uses less powder, kicks less, is truly 308 length, and many think it's more accurate than the wsm. All while being only a couple fps behind the wsm.

In a perfect world you can have access to a giant array of proven bullets. Right now it sucks, but 162 and 180 eldms show up with some regularity. I've been using hammers and they're in stock amd tons of fun. I get 3230 with a 140g and some guys do better than that.

270 doesn't do anything the 7mm doesn't do. If you really wanted raw speed you could do 7-300wsm. Better brass than the original 7, longer neck. Almost certainly long for your action though.
Very good post with great information. Thank you.

Yes, I see what you are saying. I didn't think about it initially to be honest. Let me say now though, the 300 WSM is the only short action magnum that I do own. However, after looking at everything I am leaning toward the 7 WSM but I don't know that I am 100% settled on it. I'm going to search for threads on the Wyatt's extended mag and see what people have to say about those and how well they feed and such. I'd like to be able to do their Baney box but I'd like some real world experiences to ponder. So a searching we will go!
Whether you go with .270 WSM or 7 WSM, this boils down to personal preference and intended purpose. As others have noted, the flaw with the WSM is the COAL; it needs >3" to take advantage of those long high BC bullets. Having said that, my .300 WSM propels the 215 Berger at 2850 FPS; not a slouch, IMHO. Because I have other .30 caliber/chamberings, the WSMs shortfall is not an issue.

.338 NMI - build-in-progress
.338 WM
.30 LARA
.300 WM (3)
.300 WSM (2)
.30 Gibbs
.30-06
.30 M1
7MM SAUM
.270 AI
.264 WM
6.5x55
6.5 CM
.257 WBY
.24/6MM - the current gap might be my next project build.
.223/5.56

As you can see, I prefer the .30 cal over the .28 cal. I used to have 7MM STW but got rid of it. The .270 AI was specifically built to propel the 165/175 Matrix VLD and 170 Bergers.

Good luck!

270 doesn't do anything the 7mm doesn't do. If you really wanted raw speed you could do 7-300wsm. Better brass than the original 7, longer neck.
The same is true with his .300 WSM. Regarding the long neck, that depends on the cartridge design; I know people claim that the flaw in Gibbs's design is the short neck, but I have no issue with my .30 Gibbs.

.30-06 IMPROVED INSIDE VOLUME.JPG

.30 Gibbs loaded with Berger 190 VLDs.jpg

Similarly, there have been drastic short-neck cartridge designs that defy the norms, like the Wolfpup below:

Short neck.jpg

ADDED: https://bulletin.accurateshooter.co...al-short-necked-wolfpup-for-hunter-benchrest/

My apologies to @Just a hunter for getting sidetracked.

Last edited:
The same is true with his .300 WSM. Regarding the long neck, that depends on the cartridge design; I know people claim that the flaw in Gibbs's design is the short neck, but I have no issue with my .30 Gibbs.

View attachment 423314
View attachment 423315

Similarly, there have been drastic short-neck cartridge designs that defy the norms, like the Wolfpup below:

View attachment 423313

My apologies to @Just a hunter for getting sidetracked.
I disagree, I think there are meaningful fundamental differences between a 300 wsm and the class he's thinking of working with. As far as the neck length, nobody thinks that it can't work short: longer just seems to help. It's like sharpening chisels without mechanical guides. If you can do it then your life is fabulous. But it's not for everyone. The wolfpup looks like a fun science experiment, and I bet it gets chambered with rubber tongs by someone with the nerves of a demolition expert.

At any rate part my thought was that the fun of a 7-300 might be fuss-free forming from stuff that's literally laying around for the OP, maybe even using the same die. The neck would be a side benefit, not the point.

I disagree, I think there are meaningful fundamental differences between a 300 wsm and the class he's thinking of working with. As far as the neck length, nobody thinks that it can't work short: longer just seems to help. It's like sharpening chisels without mechanical guides. If you can do it then your life is fabulous. But it's not for everyone. The wolfpup looks like a fun science experiment, and I bet it gets chambered with rubber tongs by someone with the nerves of a demolition expert.

At any rate part my thought was that the fun of a 7-300 might be fuss-free forming from stuff that's literally laying around for the OP, maybe even using the same die. The neck would be a side benefit, not the point.

If the OP thinks it makes that much difference, he should go for it. I am simply addressing that the longer neck norm is not as big of a factor/mindset as it used to be, and the OP already has a .300 WSM. Sharpening a chisel is not the same or as precise as the rifle chamber/cartridge.
1672504992772.png

I also agree with @Rick Richard.
I can't see any significant benefit to going to a 7 WSM if you already have a 300 WSM. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I will just add that going from a 30 to a 7 will have a noticable reduction in recoil if your shooting say 215-230s in the 30 and 180s or therabouts in the 7.
It it's just something to consider if your shooting a lighter rifle like my 300 PRC. I really have to have my form dialed and it's best if I'm at lower power on my scope to spot my shots. 9.5 pound all up rig for a sample . Just one consideration.

I have secured 7WSM brass and dies and a barrel so I guess I'm heading that way. It was between the 7 and 270 and the 7, for me, was easier to secure components. Look at the bright side, next time I can do the 270! Thank you to everyone for your advice and input.

I have secured 7WSM brass and dies and a barrel so I guess I'm heading that way. It was between the 7 and 270 and the 7, for me, was easier to secure components. Look at the bright side, next time I can do the 270! Thank you to everyone for your advice and input.
Cool man. Powder in that class has been available ish too. What did you pick out for a barrel?

Bartlein 2B to try to save some weight without going all the way down to a featherweight. I couldn't get the twist I wanted without waiting a little while and I'm not the most patient person. I ended up with a 8.7 twist. I know I can stabilize the 162 ELD-M but beyond that I don't know.

Recent Posts