Which short action magnum?

6.8 Western is perfect for your needs, but does have limited brass options unless you want to form it from 7SAUM brass. My 6.8 sends 170 EOLs downrange at just shy of 3k FPS and does it very accurately. Factory ammo options exist for the non reloader.

270wsm or any 270 with 130 grain swift sciroccos is deadly potion - but there are many others I like the speed so I go lighter. Just me for medium sized game.

If your limited to factory loads 7mm wsm is very limited, brass can be hard to find. Great short action round ammo if ammo and components can be found. Mine shoots 160 old federal bear claws or nosler accubonds very well. Or you can go lighter and speed that up if you choose

Neither a bad choice depends on your desires - 7 will have more recoil in a lw rifle if that matters. My fwt feels like my 7mm wby

Okay good people I'm looking for input again. I have a Remington 700 short action with the .540 bolt face. I was leaning toward building a 270 WSM fast twist but I don't see a lot of options for bullets. I have never owned anything in a 27 except my dad's 270 Win that I got when he passed and I didn't want to hunt with it, it's put up to keep and pass down to the next generation. I killed one deer with it and put it up.

What would you guys build and why? The 270 WSM interested me for the speed. I figure I would have to put a Wyatt's extended mag box in it to benefit from the fast twist and longer bullets wouldn't I? Look forward to seeing everyone's choices and why. Thank you.
This from my experience. I have the 300 wsm love it. Had the 7 wsm it has more case capacity than the 7saum. But the saum has long neck for shooting longer bullets this way you not crushing powder. Now for the 270wsm..that the most recoil gun i have ever shot to be such lil gun. And im a big gun kinda guy . have rums. Stw. 28 nos . custom muzzleloaders. Nothing compares !

For the OP checking out the 27cals.....
Have a look at the 27Nosler, from what I can see(figure)
looks like, with a 139 Absolute Hammer it'll work in a short action.....I could be wrong, so check it out if ya want....

Nothing wrong with a. 270 wsm except the bullet choices and barrel twist. Personally I'd go 6.5 or 7 wsm if wanting to stick to the wsm. If not caring about the wsm so much and wanting a short action magnum I'd do the saum, Sherman, or prc. The prc is NOT A WANNA BE wsm. It was never designed to compete with the wsm. It was designed for 6.5-284 performance and competitive shooting in a short throw bolt action. It's not going to and never was designed to run with a wsm but it's a legit cartridge. Running a 135 at 3000 in a 18" barrel is no slouch. Run a. 26" and you'll be 3150-3200

For the OP checking out the 27cals.....
Have a look at the 27Nosler, from what I can see(figure)
looks like, with a 139 Absolute Hammer it'll work in a short action.....I could be wrong, so check it out if ya want....
The case on the nosler is already 2.59" so to even figure a 3" max COAL you will have less than .5" of bullet out of the case with a 1.39" long bullet. I would definitely look elsewhere.

If you want a 270 short action and reload, I would look at the 270 Sherman shortmag. Can load the 170 Berger at 2.920" and can get good speed from any of the 130-150 grain bullets in 270.

As mentioned, the challenge with the short action and WSM is overall length of the round. If you like shooting close to the lands, then the round may not fit in the magazine…even with an extended magazine. Also, if you are lucky to get it to fit then it will more than likely have to be a Center feed magazine since a staggered magazine will be too short. My suggestion would be to go with a SAUM cartridge in either 6.5 or 7. Now, how do I know all of this? Been there and done that.

Okay good people I'm looking for input again. I have a Remington 700 short action with the .540 bolt face. I was leaning toward building a 270 WSM fast twist but I don't see a lot of options for bullets. I have never owned anything in a 27 except my dad's 270 Win that I got when he passed and I didn't want to hunt with it, it's put up to keep and pass down to the next generation. I killed one deer with it and put it up.
I am not sure what you mean by not seeing a lot of bullet options for a fast-twist barrel. How many bullet options do you need? Below is just a short list of .27 cal bullets that "I" would use for "my" LRH/S requirement:

Berger 130, 140, 150, 170
Badlands 128, 140
Nosler LRAB 150, 165
Hornady ELD-X 145
Apex Outdoors 103
Cutting Edge 90, 100, 110, 115
Sierra GK tipped 140, 175

What would you guys build and why? The 270 WSM interested me for the speed. I figure I would have to put a Wyatt's extended mag box in it to benefit from the fast twist and longer bullets wouldn't I? Look forward to seeing everyone's choices and why. Thank you.

This boils down to personal preference, intended purpose, and what gap (caliber/chambering you) you are trying to fill. This is evident in the different recommendations you are seeing.

I have both a newer custom 300 and 7 WSM. Build it and don't look back. Hornady now makes 7 WSM brass and it's rather good. Requires some prep on the brass but it's been good stuff for me. The 162 ELDX runs good as does the 150 Badlands Bulldozer. Get a 8 or 8.5 twist barrel. If you go the 7WSM route let me know and I can share some info with you. I may have some new Hornady Brass for you also.

Last edited: