Which short action magnum?

I am not sure what you mean by not seeing a lot of bullet options for a fast-twist barrel. How many bullet options do you need? Below is just a short list of .27 cal bullets that "I" would use for "my" LRH/S requirement:

Berger 130, 140, 150, 170
Badlands 128, 140
Nosler LRAB 150, 165
Hornady ELD-X 145
Apex Outdoors 103
Cutting Edge 90, 100, 110, 115
Sierra GK tipped 140, 175

This boils down to personal preference, intended purpose, and what gap (caliber/chambering you) you are trying to fill. This is evident in the different recommendations you are seeing.
To add to what Ed listed from another thread I posted in.
So Sierra list 9 .277 Bullets from 115-175 https://www.sierrabullets.com/product-category/rifle/?filter_diameter=0-277&query_type_diameter=or

Hornady lists 14 .277 bullets from 100-150 https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/#!/

Nosler lists 16 .277 bullets from 130-170 https://www.nosler.com/products/bullets.html?nl_caliber=334

Berger lists 6 .277 bullets from 130-170 https://bergerbullets.com/product-category/rifle-bullets/?caliber=270-caliber

With 45 bullets listed not including all the small and custom bullet manufactures I fail to see how we are limited in bullet selection when we have every thing from 100 gr varmint to 175 gr big game bullets. Build your 270s and go kill stuff!

Okay good people I'm looking for input again. I have a Remington 700 short action with the .540 bolt face. I was leaning toward building a 270 WSM fast twist but I don't see a lot of options for bullets. I have never owned anything in a 27 except my dad's 270 Win that I got when he passed and I didn't want to hunt with it, it's put up to keep and pass down to the next generation. I killed one deer with it and put it up.

What would you guys build and why? The 270 WSM interested me for the speed. I figure I would have to put a Wyatt's extended mag box in it to benefit from the fast twist and longer bullets wouldn't I? Look forward to seeing everyone's choices and why. Thank you.
Before I build anything that requires a magnum primer I'd check on your local availability if it were me, that's holding me back on a build idea. I haven't gotten around to trying standard primers in my short mag yet but will some day! I had a 7WSM and 270WSM depending on your chamber and twist you may want to either go with a SAUM or Sherman Shorty. Me personally I liked the 270 Wsm over the 7wsm but purely personal. I never harvested anything but paper with either one. Just too many cartridges and too little freezer space.

Okay good people I'm looking for input again. I have a Remington 700 short action with the .540 bolt face. I was leaning toward building a 270 WSM fast twist but I don't see a lot of options for bullets. I have never owned anything in a 27 except my dad's 270 Win that I got when he passed and I didn't want to hunt with it, it's put up to keep and pass down to the next generation. I killed one deer with it and put it up.

What would you guys build and why? The 270 WSM interested me for the speed. I figure I would have to put a Wyatt's extended mag box in it to benefit from the fast twist and longer bullets wouldn't I? Look forward to seeing everyone's choices and why. Thank you.
I have Savage rifle that was chambered in 270WSM and never liked the way it shot so it got a new Prefit X-Caliber 1-7.5 twist 25" long. I went with the Sierra 175gr TGK it is now a great shooter. It likes IMR 4831,IMR 7828. Mag Pro gets the highest velocities and still shoots great. My opinion it is a high Balistic Coefficient 300 WSM. I would really like to see Nosler come out with a 170gr Accubond

Either 270 wsm or 6.8W would be perfect. I have 270 wsm 1-8 in kimber and 6.8w in m70 and both work great. Both have 3" mag length. The advantage of the 6.8 is some really good factory loads with heavy bullets. I have had no problem getting 1/2 moa with either rifle. Heck; the 6.8 does it with both 165 ablr and 175 stg factory loads so not even loaded for that one yet

There have been several people who have chimed in listing bullets that will shoot in a fast twist barrel. I guess I should have been clearer with what I said. Most of those bullets will shoot in a slow twist barrel as well as a fast twist. What I was trying to say is, there doesn't seem to be nearly as many 27 caliber bullets that are designed with a higher bc for longer range that require a fast twist barrel as there are in 6.5, 7, and 30 calibers. I might have made it more confusing than clearer.

I love my 270 WSM. Both 130 and 150 are miraculously lethal in it. But I am curious about how one would obtain brass for it given the current ammunition supply situation?!

I like, my .270 WSM Tikka, 24" 1-10 Tw, T-3 with, 140 Berger Classic Hunters going, 3,185 FPS @ .528 BC, it's still going OVER, 2,000 FPS at, 800 Yards !
Shot clear thru, 2 Bull Elk, ( BOTH, shoulders / Hides ) IT's,.. PLENTY of Gun, W/ REASONABLE Recoil ! And, Norma just made, a Run of Brass !
Many serious Hunters, KNOW that, the .270 WSM, kills like,.. "the Hammer of Thor" !

Last edited:
There have been several people who have chimed in listing bullets that will shoot in a fast twist barrel. I guess I should have been clearer with what I said. Most of those bullets will shoot in a slow twist barrel as well as a fast twist. What I was trying to say is, there doesn't seem to be nearly as many 27 caliber bullets that are designed with a higher bc for longer range that require a fast twist barrel as there are in 6.5, 7, and 30 calibers. I might have made it more confusing than clearer.
The Berger EOL, Nosler ABLR, Badlands SBD-2, Hornady ELD-X, Hammers, Cutting Edge Lazer, Sierra GK. All have 270s with high BC requiring a 1-8 or even 1-7 barrel.

I can't think of too many other options than those in 6.5 or 7 for high BC bullets that need custom twist.

I like, my .270 WSM Tikka, 24" 1-10 Tw, T-3 with, 140 Berger Classic Hunters going, 3,185 FPS @ .528 BC, it's still going OVER, 2,000 FPS at, 800 Yards !
Shot clear thru, 2 Bull Elk, ( BOTH, shoulders / Hides ) IT's,.. PLENTY of Gun, W/ REASONABLE Recoil ! And, Norma just made, a Run of Brass !
Many serious Hunters, KNOW that, the .270 WSM, kills like,.. "the Hammer of Thor" !
Norma brass is currently out of stock.