Which rifle

7sand8s

I'm stuck between the Remington Sendero II 300 and the Remington 5R in 300 any reason one would be better than the other for shooting 5-800 yards.

I think the Sendero II has about 2" extra length and is fluted. The 5r I don't believe is fluted, but if it's Gen II it is cerakoted and possibly threaded. I think the 5r is also less expensive for the Gen I than the Sendero SFII...not sure about the price of the Gen II 5r. Both are fantastic factory offerings, with the only real downside being the trigger, but that's easy to replace.

Either should be more than capable at 500-800 if you do your part, use quality ammo, etc.

I think the Sendero II has about 2" extra length and is fluted. The 5r I don't believe is fluted, but if it's Gen II it is cerakoted and possibly threaded. I think the 5r is also less expensive for the Gen I than the Sendero SFII...not sure about the price of the Gen II 5r. Both are fantastic factory offerings, with the only real downside being the trigger, but that's easy to replace.

Either should be more than capable at 500-800 if you do your part, use quality ammo, etc.
The 5r I'm
Looking at has a 26" barrel just like the Sendero, just not fluted, I plan on changing the triggers to a timney. But I wanted to get some opinions.i can get the 5r for 850.00 new and the Sendero for 1100.00

I'm stuck between the Remington Sendero II 300 and the Remington 5R in 300 any reason one would be better than the other for shooting 5-800 yards.
Both will be good rifles, and both are identical, other than stock color, barrel fluting, and the barrel rifling style. I have lots of 6-groove Remington barrels that shoot lights-out, and I have two 5R Milspecs (one of which is identical to the rifle you're looking at), but if given the opportunity to choose between 2 nearly exact rifles, but one has standard and the other has 5R rifling, I'll choose the one with 5R rifling...Especially when it's $300 cheaper.

Both will be good rifles, and both are identical, other than stock color, barrel fluting, and the barrel rifling style. I have lots of 6-groove Remington barrels that shoot lights-out, and I have two 5R Milspecs (one of which is identical to the rifle you're looking at), but if given the opportunity to choose between 2 nearly exact rifles, but one has standard and the other has 5R rifling, I'll choose the one with 5R rifling...Especially when it's $300 cheaper.
Ok thanks for the response. I'm not sure I understand the 5r rifling can you explain?

What Mud said...I have only one 300wm at the moment- a 700 Long Range I picked up for less than $8 after using rewards points at a big box store. I swapped the stock to the Gen 1 5r stock. It's a fine rifle with a new trigger and handloads, but I'd sell it in a heartbeat if someone put a Gen II 5r .300wm in my hands and offered it to me at a reasonable price.

Senderos are pretty, and if fluting is your thing they have that, too. I don't like fluting (except maybe on the bolt). The 5r is hard to beat for a factory rifle.

Ok thanks for the response. I'm not sure I understand the 5r rifling can you explain?
5R rifling is a rifling style that was developed by Boots Obermeyer, and it has been implemented by Remington in the M24 rifles for quite some time. The rifling style has smoother (flatter) edges and an offset land/groove design that creates less pinch on the bullet's jacket, therefore creating less deformation of the jacket, which theoretically will lead to more accuracy. I'm not sure how much of an affect it actually has on accuracy, but I can tell you one thing for sure about 5R rifling...The design of it, allows me to shoot longer strings between cleanings, and it also seems to accumulate less copper than standard rifling. Therefore it cleans up alot faster and easier than other factory bores with standard rifling that I own.

Here's a visual of standard rifling vs. 5R rifling...

5r-barrel1.jpg

5r for me, it's cheaper and honestly I think it's lighter and offers a better performance.
They will weigh almost the same. Same HS Precision stocks, same 416R stainless steel action and barrel. Same barrel length. Literally the only differences between the Sendero SFII and a 5R Milspec is the color of the HS Precision stocks, the Sendero is fluted, and the 5R has 5R rifling, whereas the Sendero has standard 6-groove rifling.

The Gen 2's are amazing. After buying mine in .260 had I not already had 3 300wm's I'd have bought one to match it.

There's also a "Cool Factor" with the Gen 2 that neither of the others have.

Remington's QC has been so on/off, hit/miss I don't think I'd even consider the others.

A buddy of mine that bought one of the LR's a couple of years ago had a horrible experience with the rifle and he'd saved for nearly 3 years to buy it.

I read up on and took many's advice here about the mil spec 5R. I bought a Gen 1 300wm 26", and wow does it shoot. 215 Berger hybrids and H1000 powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.