Which Rifle

SundanceKid

I'm looking at both the Remington 700 SPS varmint and the Savage 10 FP LE2, Both in the .308 version. In my research I can get either one with the 26" heavy barrel. The differance is in the twist Rem's is 1/12 and Savage 1/10. I would like any and all comments on both pro and con's. I'm wanting to use it in the 400 to 600 yard range hunting deer and antalope in wyoming. Along with anyother varmints that get in my way. I live in wyoming with low humidity and slight to gusty winds so if anyone thinks of a better caliber to use let me know. Thanks gun)

The ranges you mentioned, either should work. The Remington should be able to shoot 175 gr SMK and would be the bullet of choice in that rifle for me. The Savage should be able to shoot the 180 and 190 gr bullets and will have slightly better down range performance depending upon your exact velocities you can get. I know that the 600 is possible, but I would prefer a 7mm Rem. magnum or a 300 Win. magnum for 600 yards. Just my 2 cents. Good luck! Ken

just my 2 cents - the SPS isn't a very nice rifle (but, you may get lucky and it may be a shooter but the chances aren't that great IMHO). I have owned a SPS and also a few savages, and i would suggest that go with the savage. all three of my savages have shot very well right out of the box.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.