Which guns do you use for predator hunting?

Which guns do you use for predator hunting?

• Bolt Action Only

Votes: 975 40.1%
  • AR-15 Only

Votes: 81 3.3%
  • Shotgun Only

Votes: 9 0.4%
  • Bolt and Shotgun

Votes: 416 17.1%
  • AR-15 and Shotgun

Votes: 95 3.9%
  • Both AR-15 and Bolt

Votes: 857 35.2%

• Total voters
i shot one with a 264 in deer season, heart shot at 85 yards and it took off running like it wasn't hit, then suddenly piled up after 20 yards. A 70 or 75 grain h.p. Bullet works fantastic on eastern dogs in the 40 lb. Weight class.that's average size around south western pa.
I like an instant kill and think the 204 and 223's bullet offerings are too light. With those more often than not you end up watching the yote spinning in circles and biting at the entry wound, i'm with rick paillet, the 243 or 243 ai with 75 grain hollows are perfect.

@ Rimrox Either you've never seen a coyote shot with a 223 or only one shot with FMJ rounds or only poor shot placement. Proper bullet selection (ex. V-max or HP or any other bullet designed to shot varmints and small game animals) will kill a coyote dead in its tracks as long as you do your part. Any coyote shot in the back half will spin circles and try to bite at the wound no matter what the caliber! The only coyotes I've ever seen spin circle are ones that are poorly hit. Conclusion USE PROPER BULLET SELECTION AND PROPER SHOT PLACEMENT AND CALIBER DOESN'T MATTER! I will agree that the 243 is wicked on coyotes but don't knock the 223.

I use a 218 Bee imp. in a singleshot martini rifle, or a mini-14. for closer range I use either a 22 revolver, or 10/22 or 10/22 mag. I have shot coyotes at long range with my 7mm STW,(but not if you want to save the hide:rolleyes:) but I don't consider it a varmint rifle. Anyways was just pointing out that none of your choices are what I use.

Colt/Spike's/DPMS/??? AR-15 HBAR in .223 Rem with 20" barrel and 9" twist mounting 3-9x40mm Tasco (not Red Chinese) rubber armored scope.

CZ 527 Kevlar Varmint in .223 Rem 24" barrel 9" twist mounting 3.8-12x44mm Weaver 40/44 aspherical AO scope.

CZ 527 Varmint in .204 Ruger 26" barrel 12" twist mounting 4-16x42mm Weaver Classic V AO scope with ballistic reticle.

BSA Lonestar .25 cal PCP air rifle charged to 3400 PSI and mounting a Hawke Nite-Eye 3-12x50mm AO scope with illuminated SR6 ballistic reticle and dual Hawke LED Ray GL2 lights.

CZ 452 in .22LR mounting a 4.5-14x32mm Burris Timberline scope with AO and ballistic reticle.

Jocko the coyote hating dog. He's taken down three deer by himself so far this year in the town park, but I made him let them go. The last one was trying to stomp him, but he kept dodging the hooves until he got a chance to grab the mule deer's throat. He's part Rottweiler, and fairly strong and tough.

Oh yeah.....the air rifle category was clearly left out.....again. You guys are FAR behind the times here compared to Europe and the UK....even South Korea. Crosman just came out with a .357 air rifle with an electronically controlled air valve and ballistic tip ammo made by Nosler. Glad to see a major ammo company like Nosler is finally taking air rifles seriously. Maybe soon we won't have to go to UK, Europe or South Korea for decent hunting air rifles and ammo.

Last edited:
A dog that attacks game animals and you're PROUD of it ? A coyote that's not injured will run a dog, even a pack of dogs into the ground before they will catch it. Just a fact of life, not fantacy.We quickly dispatch dogs that attack /kill game , since the same also attack cattle, sheep, pigs and possibly other humans.

Last edited:
I've casually over the years tried calling bear and cougar without success. This year I hope to put enough time in to fulfill this goal. Historically I've packed: Ruger .44 carbine with any good 270-300 gr load. My Winchester model 70, synthetic stock, loaded with 220 gr Nosler partitions, or my .375 H&H loaded with just about anything. All wear scopes of about 1.5-5. I've shot bear with all of the above, and cougar with some (not called). I can also vouch for the fact they work well on predatory housedogs up to the Rottweiller size.

We change up a little, meaning me and my sons. In tight spots ( close quarters) we use our shot guns and semi-autos 223. Open areas it's 22-250 and shot gun if they keep coming and some times suprize us. I always carry my 12 ga.
Kurt
Snowflake, Az.

I use a reminton 22-250 and 222 most of the time but for the ones that are further out than 200 yrds i use a #1 ruger 25-06 but that is when they dont want to come in any closer

I've casually over the years tried calling bear and cougar without success. This year I hope to put enough time in to fulfill this goal. Historically I've packed: Ruger .44 carbine with any good 270-300 gr load. My Winchester model 70, synthetic stock, loaded with 220 gr Nosler partitions, or my .375 H&H loaded with just about anything. All wear scopes of about 1.5-5. I've shot bear with all of the above, and cougar with some (not called). I can also vouch for the fact they work well on predatory housedogs up to the Rottweiller size.

Where I grew up, ferrel dogs, fell into the same category as coyotes. That's what the GW said.

Currently, do not own a bolt, so if I go out, it's mostly with my AR15 custom. However, when and if I go with buddies, they have bolt actions... my wife comes along, or it's near the house, then a shotgun is nearly always with us.

Only own a 20g at the moment.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.