Which chronograph do you use - REVIEW

An old PACT Pro is still servng quite well for me. They are quite a bit less expensive today. And I've never felt that a "proof" channel would have offered me a thing. The only time I've ever had an "issue" with start/stop or velocities was when I first got it and didn't have the sensors far enough from the muzzle or didn't shoot high enough in the window. Or if I allowed sunlight to shine directly into the sensor slits. More operator problems (me) than the instrument's. ???

Last edited:
I'm using a 18 year old Pact model. I was getting ready to upgrade to the CED but after doing a trajectory validation with Exbal, I realized that this thing is dead on.

I have had a pact xp chronograph for about a year. It works very well on cloudy overcast days but when the sun comes out forget it. The l.e.d. screen reads NO START SIGNAL DETECTED. I have called pact twice , the first time they said to tilt the sensors and skyscreen to one side or the other in an effort to change the amount of light recieved by the sensors.This did not work,and imagine if you can shooting through a chrono tipped to the side, it's just not right.The next time I called the guy on the phone told me that the sensors are set at the factory for optimum conditions and that if they changed the sensors to work in bright light I would experience the same problem only now it would be on cloudy days. The sensors are set at a happy medium & thats the way it is . I have a cardboard shade which works sometimes but not reliably. Last time out,bright sun,NO START SIGNAL DETECTED,and my improvised shade did'nt work,so I picked up the tripod and moved the unit from 10 feet, and in the sun to 4 feet from the muzzle & out of the sun, in the shade of the shacks roof.The chrono worked good for the rest of the day.The chrono survived my 22-250 @4 feet, but I fear ruination with the 8mm rem mag. A fellow shooter suggested I try putting black tape over the aluminum base to reduce glare.I will try anything. Long story short;Don't buy a Pact XP.

I have a beta chrony and a ced m2. the beta is slower than the ced. I don't think the components on the ced are high quality. The computer looks like a calculator from china you get at the bank for signing up for free checking. It works great but it looks cheesy.

CED M2. I'm happy with it but it is the first chrony I've ever owned or used so I do not have anything to compare it with.

I have used it in high heat and bright sun without issue.
Using it with Exbal my drops to 600 yards have been accurate.

I need to buy the carry case.

I've used them all over the years, and found nothing that compares to the PVM-21 that I am currently using. It's quite a bit more money than the rest, but in the end, why compromise in an area that is so crucial to the final result ..

Last edited:
CED works great with the inferred sky screens. Only complaint with them is cosmetic it's really wobbly and feels cheap made, but hey, it always gives me a reading!!!

esshup,
I used the Oehler 35P for years, until replacing it with the 21. The 35P is a great chronograph don't get me wrong, I just feel the 21 is more "user friendly". I got tired of the 4' rail for the sky screens, and dealing with the printer. The 21 is set in the window frame, and the remote and laptop sit on the bench. I don't have to worry about sunlight, skyscreens, printer paper... and for that matter, even going outside...:)
If I had to choose which one I liked and trusted prior to the 21, I would choose the 35P.

Thanks Joel. I've got to go outside anyway, and the case that I have for the 35P is long enough to keep the sensors on the 4' pole when stowed. The computer hook-up on the 21 is a very nice option!

My appoligies for the momentay hijack, but I didn't want to start a new thread for a simple question.

Are there any chronys that will send data from remote postions down range? Or... can you go back and click through the shot record for individual velocities? I suppose the CED could print out record.

-MR
You can click through the shot string for individual velocities with the CED, or print it out. Also the display is large enough to read at 100 yds through your scope.

I use the Oehler 35. I crono'd some Remington 300 RUM 180g partitions that stated a velocity of 3260 fps on the box and the average of 10 shots was 3260 fps. I have 200g Nosler Accubond handloads that are chronographed at 3200 fps. My 180g Nosler Accubonds are going 3450 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.