Which chronograph do you use - REVIEW

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Chronograph Review

I am going to start a poll in its own separate thread but first I need to build up a list of candidates to be included in the poll.

So tell me your brand and model. Also tell me what you like the most about it and what needs to be improved in it.

I'll start. I use the Competitive Edge Dynamics CED M2 and I am very happy with it. I got the carry bag, also, and this chronograph is so much easier to deal with than my former Oehler. Here is an objective review of it by an LRH member: CED M2 Chronograph Review

Your turn...which one do you use?

Last edited:
I went the cheap route and purchased a F-1 Shooting Chrony beta model. Good enough for me to nail down what my average velocity is, but I don't trust every reading it gives me. I only use it for determining drop charts.

I have both the Shooting Chrony and the CED M2. The Shooting Chrony is always around 3% higher than the CED. I also have the IR screens for the CED. It's velocities have always matched up with my estimates from Quickload and my drops from Exbal.

AJ

I have an old ProChrony that I got back around 1995. I used it off and on until about '99 when I took a sabatical from shooting until the last couple of years.

I have no idae how accurate it is. Recently I shot some Fed 180 ABs through it and it gave me an average velocity of about 2995 and the Fed chart shows 2960.

It also has a few quirks like the last time I was out it made some erroneous readings of shots that had not been fired???

I am very interested in this poll because I would like to get another chrony, maybe two.

I'm using an old Oehler 33 with skyscreen II's permanently mounted on 4' spacing. My 35P started acting erratic but I haven't sent it back to Oehler. My plan is to drop it off sometime on my way through Austin and visit with them. Nobody has better customer service than Oehler. I miss the 35's printer a little, and I like the proof screen. However, the 33 is stone reliable, and I recommend it to anyone who can find one.

Tom

I use a Chrony Beta. Works well for me though it doesn't work at the cold temperatures that I've found myself at the range shooting in (ie -25C or so).

Oehler 33 with original skyscreens (just ordered the newer Oehler SkyScreenIIIs) and a PACT PC2. I run them together and generally get a good correlation on the velocities.

Hi Len,

Good idea.

My first chronograph was the Chrony F1 and for a beginner re-loader is ample, plus if you have heaps of time to record all of your readings/results in a notebook or log book - as there is no on-board memory or printer (the higher models in the range do have printer capability). I enjoyed the unit until I borrowed it to a mate - Yep you guessed it: Shot it to pieces.

And hence the biggest problem with this sort of all-in-one unit is: You shoot any piece of the main box/unit and you are toast!

For many years I didn't bother with another chronograph until just recently I started looking for a replacement. I had seen many good comments with the CED M2 including IPSC users here in Australia. But, as with all things you must do your own research and determine which fits your needs/wants.

Off searching the net again - checked out the new Chrony models and was extremely interested in the Pact Professional XP along side of the CED M2. I tossed and turned between the three and finally landed on the CED M2.

To say I'm extremely impressed is easy - it is that good, some of the features I like are included below:

• On board memory
  • USB interface for download to PC and processing or connection to a laptop/notebook at the range
  • Printing via your PC at home (Plus I enjoy creating nice eXcel charts from the data)
  • Large area to shoot through
  • Fantastic main control unit with great screen and plenty of data functions in-built - even talks to you.
  • Easy set-up and package away (True "Plug-n-Play")
  • Nice quality components
  • All parts available separately - if you damage one bit you do not have to throw the whole thing away.
The only one negative I've found is when the unit is set up at the range - just be careful of big winds: if the sky screen(s) are moving around quite a bit you might receive an 'Error' instead of the velocity.

I had the unit set up outside in full sun and no issues there either - including overheating as the ambient temperature was hot.

CED M2 - that's my choice:)

Cheers.

I am going to start a poll in its own separate thread but first I need to build up a list of candidates to be included in the poll.

So tell me your brand and model. Also tell me what you like the most about it and what needs to be improved in it.

I'll start. I use the Competitive Edge Dynamics CED M2 and I am very happy with it. I got the carry bag, also, and this chronograph is so much easier to deal with than my former Oehler. Here is an objective review of it by an LRH member: CED M2 Chronograph Review

Your turn...which one do you use?

I haven't worn a wrist watch since my expensive Timex broke 20 years ago and I was shocked at how much the replacement cost would have been. :cool:

running a Pact XP Pro. could NOT recommend it to anyone. it has been back to the factory for the same issue 3 times...THREE TIMES in a year. No Start Signal is what i get...doesnt matter if it is sunny, cloudy or even indoors with the IR turned on.
really wish i would have gone with the CED.

My appoligies for the momentay hijack, but I didn't want to start a new thread for a simple question.

Are there any chronys that will send data from remote postions down range? Or... can you go back and click through the shot record for individual velocities? I suppose the CED could print out record.

-MR

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts