9-13
S
not notch

6-9
not S
notch

9~13"

Swivel

Use both notched and not. But have mixed emotions about them.

Notched seems faster and easier. But, the notched has a noticable amount of spring loaded slack on the lowest position. This is the position I use most and have seen it affect group size on lighter rifles. So I am thinking the friction lock might be better for this reason.

Jeff

Interesting

Compare the two by pushing upward on the leg while they are in their lowest position. You will see the notched has a substantial ammount of spring loaded slack. If the weight of the rifle is right, I have seen it cause the rifle to jump durring recoil and groups open up. Especially off of concrete or a hard surface. Changing the bipod to a non-notched corrected this for me and groups tightened.

Jeff

I have 12 BR models (6-9") on my Tactical rifles. These model covers pretty much all my shooting needs. I use the non-rotating model. I find the regular model is steady and the legs can be adjusted for cant pretty fast. I keep 1 prone (9-13") in my shooting kit if I need more height. Have one notch model, not too fond of it. Doesn't have fine enough adjustments for me.

I use two models

The one I use the most for long range shooting is:
9-13
S
Notched

I also use this one on a general hunting rifle for areas with really tall grass and big sagebrush
12-25
Swivel
Regular legs (this is all that is available.

I use several, the main ones are as follows:
6-9
S
notched

9-13
S
notched

I also use the next size up for hunting which is a S, but not notched. I like the notched legs much better! I can't recall the size off hand, but i think it extends to 2'.

13.5-27 inch swivel. I have two of them. I hate laying down and I hate trying to look
through grass.

Howdy Len,

I use several, depending on the gun and type of shooting I'm doing at the moment.

Model 25C series S, 13.5" - 27" for sitting positions when I dont have my shooting sticks.

Between the sticks and bipod, I feel the sticks are quicker, quieter and easier to manuver when a coyote is coming in to the call and looking for movement. The bipod is steadier, and on something like a deer in a field, I'd rather have the steadiness of the tall bipod.

I really like the Model S-LM, and S-BRM (9-13 swivel and 6-9 swivel, both with spring ejection leg notches) for adjusting elevation when already lying prone behind the rifle. Easier for me to adjust one handed with spring ejection, rather than trying to pull the leg out and then turn the knob to tighten it all with just one hand while the other hand is supporting my weight and tilting the rifle from side to side.

I also have the above models with the standard friction locks. They are fine too, and easy enough to use when I am above the rifle and have both hands free to adjust the leg lenghts, but if I am in a hurry; the spring ejection is faster for me.

I see what Broz is saying about the bottom portion of the spring loaded ones being pre loaded. Fortunately for me, my belly is big enough that I never end up using the lowest setting when prone, LOL:)

If I shoot with a bipod from the bench, the BR swivel works just fine, regular friction lock is fine too, because there's no hurry and both hands are free.

I like the pod locks for eliminating some of the recoil induced torque, but they take up additional space behind the bipod and when carrying the rifle on a sling, sometimes they dig into my shoulder. I know a guy that machines smaller ones, I might ask him make me a couple of them.

For my body size, I didn't find the model H or the model 25 tall enough for sitting positions on coyote stands. If I called facing up hill, or on perfectly flat ground perhaps they'd be ok, but I usually sit on somewhat of a slope looking down hill.

Additionally, sometimes the 6-9 isn't tall enough and other times the 9-13 is too tall. Shawn Carlocks video mentions that he carries both. If Harris or somebody would come out with a 6-13 or similar, I think that would fit the bill for nearly any prone shooting I would ever encounter.

Well, there's my 2 cents, even if it took a dollars worth of space to say it:D

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.