Which Caliber?

I've got all 3 in 24" barrels and reload. With my 308 I shoot 165 BT and AB, 7mm -08 140 BT and AB and 6.5 CM 140 BT. I actually have five 6.5 CM, that being said when an animal gets hit with a 165 gr 308 BT it's done just as dead as a 7mm -08 with 140 gr BT the 6.5 it kills very good too but you can see the difference that the larger calibers make. I don't know about actual ballistics but I can see the difference between the 3. We can go on and on but I will respect what you want to shoot and believe in. I'm just giving my opinion and real life experiences with over 200+ animals (feral goats, feral sheep, pigs, axis deer and a few wild cattle) between just this 3 cartridges. I can honestly say there is also huge difference between a 300 WM and a 264 WM but that's another story.

Or try this one -- a 7mm-08 Its right in the middle of where you are at. Better than the creed for elk, as good for much else. Little less flat shooting that then 6.5, but better than the 308. Look at the 7mm-08 for a bit.
You picked two short action rounds and I figure you are going to handload hence the reloading forum. I love short actions myself and use 260, 7mm-08, and 308 cartridges, I love the 7mm-08 for a lot of reasons and 140gr up bullets make it lethal at your ranges. No shade at the creed, I don't seem to have the cartridge bias some have toward it, 260 is very similar and I love it. Now before I finish I would suggest you look at the 6.5PCR, another excellent choice that I am considering. Real bell ringer if you choose to extend your shooting distances as well.

For everyone recommending the 7-08 with a 140 AB, can you please expand on what a 7mm 140 AB running at 2850 will do that a 6.5 140 running at 2800 out to 300yds?

I'd like to say that since you are posting in a reloading forum, you must plan to reload, right? And if the answer is yes to reloading, just why are you limiting yourself to .308 and 6.5Creed? You can beat BOTH of those for your stated game with a couple of real common things, like a 270 or 7mm RM. The big seven should not be overlooked. With lighter bullets it will not kick any harder than the 308. And the 270 is a dream happy medium. Capable of elk (at least far better than the 6.5 creed) and distance.

If you are reloading, though, give some thought to these options: 6.5x55 swede (more omph than the 6.5 Creed, but long action), 6.5x284. reputed to be barrel burner, but you are planing to hunt, which usually does not destroy barrels. Or if you can find the odd 270 WSM, 7mm WSM or SAUM, they would scratch your short action desire and bring you a better solution for the game you are listing. Or how about a .284 Win (getting a resurgence, several manufacturers are producing factory guns for it) which is great. Or a 284 Rem (7mm x 06 basically)??

Or try this one -- a 7mm-08 Its right in the middle of where you are at. Better than the creed for elk, as good for much else. Little less flat shooting that then 6.5, but better than the 308. Look at the 7mm-08 for a b

Did the math on the 7mm08 with a 140 Nosler ballistic tip at 2850. It's awesome. Has 1200 ft pounds all the way to 510 yards. 270 yards shorter than a Creed. 75 yards less than the 308. There is a reason the 6.5 Creed has become so popular. There is also a reason for so many haters. It beats the pants off of so many mid power level cartridges. And a bunch of more powerful rounds at longer range where the high bc pays off. Drink the cool-aid it taste great.
Shep

Why stop with a Needmore, the 6.5 PRC & the 6.5x300 are superior, in every category

I am looking at buying a new rifle and the two that I have come down to are 6.5 creedmoor and .308 Win. I will be using it to hunt whitetail, elk, and pronghorn. With shots out to 600 yards. Thanks for all the info!
shooting elk at 600 as you stated either is capable in my opinion neither is ideal make sure to use a proper bullet and very good shot placement I would prefer a 280 ackley if you handload if not the old trusty 30-06 would be a heck of a choice at the 300 yard either 6.5 or 308 would be great myself I would take the 308

Last edited:
Bigsky I stopped with the Creed because it was a choice of the op. He didn't ask about the prc or 6.5-300. Ballistically yes they both out run the Creed. As for the 6.5-300wby being a superior round. Not. The 6.5-300 is stupid overbore and wiped barrels out faster than you can go through a case of Charmin. I hunt with a 6.5saum now which is a little faster than the prc. But the op said 6.5 Creed or 308.
Shep

I am looking at buying a new rifle and the two that I have come down to are 6.5 creedmoor and .308 Win. I will be using it to hunt whitetail, elk, and pronghorn. With shots out to 600 yards. Thanks for all the info!
Hard to beat a 308 with some 180's coming out the pipe, will work out to 300 yards with no problems at all. Now the 6.5 are what I prefer for most every thing now and I have a 264 mag slinging 160 out to 400 yards all day long. I finished a 6.5 X 55 build last year and it love's 130. So either will work, but I will give the edge to the 308.

Out to 300 yards it is not going to make a difference if you have a 6.5 Creed, 308, or 7mm-08. All will work. Choose your rifle first. If you are not a reloader then the 308 will be significantly cheaper to shoot, else there is very little difference.

I've got a couple Remington Model Seven SS rifles in 308 and 7-08. Both have the factory 20" barrels. I love those rifles. I'll be taking one of them on my next elk hunt.

I thought it was 25 or 6 to 4. Really out to 300 yards just about anything shoots hard enough. Op originally said 600 but switched to 300. A lot less cartridges are 600 yard ready. A lot less people are 600 yard ready.
Shep

1 to 600...1 to 300.....for just a neophyte hunter/shooter like myself, those are long long long shot possibilities.......they make my head spin. I can't image needing help with the cartridge choice if one was proficient enough at those ranges. Anyhow, I would get the .308 and since you didn't say what platform you were getting and revised the yardage to 300 yards..........get a Browning BAR and go "hunt" them.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.