Which Bullet for 300WM build

mfloski

I am building a hunting 300WM, trying to make it as light as practical, so finished barrel length will likely be 24 or 25". I am considering one of the four as the go to for hunting out to 800ish yrds:
1. 200gr ELD-X
2. 22gr ELD-X
3. 190gr Accubond LR
4. 210gr Accubond LR

Just wanting to hear your thoughts on pros and cons of each, which you think is best in class? ALR seam to have higher published BCs and also suggest terminal velocity of only 1300fps!

Any of the four you've mentioned will certainly get the job done. For 800 and less the difference between them will be negligible. For drop them dead in their tracks results it's hard to beat the accubonds.

I like Retumbo in my 24" 300WM as it produces about 50-100 FPS greater velocity with the same accuracy, ES, and temperature stability as H1000. For LRH, medium sized game I like the Hornady 200gr ELD-X which seems to give better expansion at the longer ranges over the Berger 210/215's which I prefer for larger game(elk,etc). All three bullets produce 2890-2900FPS with <.5MOA in my 24" Remington MilSpec.

In my last 300 I used Retumbo and H1000. I found that the accuracy was the same with both at the same speed. That required more Retumbo than H1000 and the ES seemed to be slightly better with H1000.

For a lighter weight rifle I would steer toward the 180-190 grain bullets. At 800 yards these bullets will be have a better trajectory and recoil significantly less. You will get about 10-15% more wind deflection when compared to the 210-215 grain bullets but that's a reasonable trade-off in my opinion. You would really have to mess up your wind call for this to be a big deal at 800 yards and under.

If you decide to try some of the heavier ELD bullets I would prefer the 212 ELD-X over the 200 or 220. The 212 has a longer ogive and better BC while the other 2 were designed for factory-length ammo and have a short ogive.

Of your 4 bullet choices to 800 yards I'd go with the Accubonds and 200 gr ELD-X. I load Accubonds for closer range and if I needed to go well past 600 yards put the ELD-X in.

I like the Accubonds better than anything under 500 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.