Which bullet for 6.5x284?

HuntnID

Well, I have a Cooper Phoenix 6.5x284. After buying the rifle used on here, I have only used one load....142 grain Sierra Matchkings with H4831. Well, after this hunting season, I am now down to loaded rounds left. I have been on the backorder list at Bruno's and Midway waiting for the 142 SMKs to come in and now I'm starting to have my doubts.

If anybody can point me in the direction of some in-stock 142 SMKs I'd be appreciative.

Additionally, I have been considering trying out a new bullet and I'm undecided on which to try. Any suggestions? It was really between the Accubond and the Berger 140s. I like the BC of the Berger but I also like the appeal of a bonded bullet for the closer shots.

What say you?

On a side note, I have enjoyed the performance of SMKs. Will the Bergers perform that much differently on game?

I only shoot berger hunting vld and 160 matrix bullets. As far as accuracy, super happy with either. Currently shooting 140 VLD at 2940 at .30 MOA. 160 VLD at 2700 at .30 MOA as well. I have shot better but it seems I am consistently shooting .3 instead of the occasional .20 I have done. With Target VLD I shoot .20 or better quite often. BUT this is hunting rifle so I don't shoot the targets anymore.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.