Which bullet for STW?

cmfic1

Just starting to get into LR shooting and was needing some advice. I have a LH Rem 7mmSTW, and I would like to know what would be the optimum bullet weight/make for shots on Deer/Antelope & Elk out to about 600 yards or so? I had some 140 TSX's on the bench for my .280, so I put a bunch of them into some STW cases. Now Hunting is over, I would like to get serious about loading up some LR stuff, we have a 1000K range here now, and its calling my name.
Thanx.

I used the 140 accubond this year on deer and elk.It worked good on both.I would have used the 160 AB, but my gun liked the 140 alot better.

Might give the 168 gr Berger VLD a try.....I shoot them at 3200 out of my Sendero. Very accurate and flat shooting. The Accubond works well also. My rifle did not like the amax. 2" groups at 100 yds, vs. 1/2" Berger and Nosler. Rebarreling now with a 28" Broughton.

I just purchased a Sendero Stw also and I am gonna start shooting LR also. I am mounting a Schmidt Bender 4-16x50 on it and was wondering about bullet choice also and the best powders for this Caliber? Any help would be appreciated. Not hijacking your thread but maybe we can both benefit..

By all means Blaser....we're here to learn.

Excuse my ignorance Bill, but who/what are Amax bullets?
Thanx.

the Amax is hornady's target bullet. its not built like a target bullet though in the since that it has a polymere tip. great for light skinned game and coyotes. havent tried them on elk yet though. Hears a list I would try and you can see what bullets are the most accurate out of you'r gun. 162amax, the 160gr. accubond and whatever berger has in the 160-170 group. have dealt with lots of bergers just not in the 7mm.

My rate of twist is 1 in 9 1/4.

While on this subject, what would be the best ROT for a .280 AI shooting mainly 140 gr. bullets?

I would try the 180g VLD if I was you. Higher BC then any of the bullets anyone else mentioned and it WILL work on elk. It WILL stabilize out of your factory rifle. I had a winchester sporter model 70 in 7 STW and it shot the 180's just fine out of that twist, cant reemmber what exactly it was, 9 1/4 or 9 1/2 maybe. The 168g VLD would be a good one as well as the 160g AB.

Do a search for keithcandler he's a big stw fan.
His posts will show some powders and hot loads for the stw's.
Stay w/ the heavies as stated although keith is a fan of the barnes 140 tsx.ME

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.