Which bullet?

Varmint Hunter

I had a buffalo soak up two 260gr Partitions with little sign of being hit. Both shots landed just behind the shoulder and below the centerline of his chest.
The big buffalo fell over when he felt like it. Both bullets were caught in the hide on the opposite side and mushroomed as advertised.
Somehow, a fragile bullet doesn't seem like the best choice for such tough animals.

carl1775

The .45-70 I shot, didn't make it past center line. It was recovered from the heart. So, I would still contended that a properly expanded modern bullet, would match, or exceed performance of a solid. I know there are a lot of factors involved, but I'd still recommend, "what the rifle likes to shoot and what the shooter has the most confidence in." They are tough critters, that's for sure.

Attachments

tim_w

That maybe true but bullets that are known to frag or have thin jackets i.e. typical unbonded lead core same as a berger. Comparitively, a solid will, almost with exception, penetrate deeper that any expanding jacketed bullet. There is a reason solids are used for cape buffalo and elephant head shots. They want deep deep penetration and rely mainly on bullet diameter for damage. If there is any chance of hitting bone, such as the shoulder, then it will be very doubtful of a single shot clean kill. Broken shoulder and muscle damage would be my guess. You want to get into the lungs and heart or a brain shot.

Its a reason I asked about likely engagement distance.

In all likelihood the hunt will go fine with the berger and if its a good shot and he has confidence in it all the better. But if I was startting from a clean slate that bullet contruction would be close to the bottom of the list for a bullet I would choose for heavy boned and muscled, thick hided large game.

carl1775

What is the difference in velocity, inertia/force imparted to the game, in regard to modern expandable v. vintage solid? I've always heard that 2200, is the magic number.

Latest Classifieds

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce