Best Bullet for 300wm?

KRob

I recently picked up a savage 116 300wm i used it for deer hunting and it worked fine. I did not have time to build up a load though and just went off advice on bullet and powders. I used a 150gr Nosler Partion.

This is my question for the future if i moved up to a 180 or something bigger would it cause less damage to the meat or with that large of a round is it just going to chew up meat.

Ive got three weekends to do some experimenting and build a load for elk. Bullet and weight suggetion for Elk?

The 180 or 200 gr Nosler Accubond are a good choice for Elk. They work well on deer too, although if you hit it in the shoulder you might make a mess.
I use 68.8gr of IMR4350 with the 200gr Accubond, 2850fps with good case life.

I also have a question about the 190 SMK or the 178 Amax in a 300 WM for elk? I finally have narrowed my bullets down to these 2 and will be taking a trip out west next year. The bullets shoot about the same as far as grouping. Has anybody had any experience in taking an Elk with these?

Accubonds are a boat tail bonded bullet, whereby the core is fused to the outer jacket & are much tougher with more weight retention than ballistic tips. Partitions are usually flat-based (not boat tail), have an internal wall/partition, which prevents separation of the jacket & core. Hope this helps.

In 300 win mag I've used 200 grain Sierra SPBT on numerous elk at varying ranges. These are very wind resistent, lot of knock down power, however, you have to see what type of bullets your rifle likes. There is not a one fits all. When I get a new rifle I try 1-box of different/various factory loads, good cleaning before changing ammos, & let the rifle dictate what it likes. Then I build-up my loads accordingly. Hope this helps.

Its hard to go wrong with the 200gr Accubond for closer range work. If you're going to he streaching the yardage a bit, think about the 220SMK.

Ive shot 4 elk over the past 8 years using 190 smks.Everyone of them have been shot through the lungs.A shoulder shot is not an option with these bullets.But when it comes to a lung shot it is dynamite.Far as meat loss as I always say,who cares when they are shot through the lungs,not much meat in this area anyways,same applies with deer.Ive shot several deer and elk at 400 yards and farther with this round.as accurate as a bullet as you will ever find,especially when coupled with reloader 22 powder,great combo.

I still have problems with the idea of a target bullet on elk that you must avoid bone. A heavy Nosler Ballistic Tip would be the same criteria. Why not use a real hunting bullet like the Accubond 200gr that would allow both long and short shots from any angle?? Accuracy from what I'm reading for the 200gr Accobond is outstanding, so accuracy can't be the reason. I get confused on elk questions when we are supposed to be about long range hunting, not punching paper! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I dont think that a target bullet is going to be the best choice for me. Thank you for all the advice I think that im going to load up a box of 180gr partions for elk this season and do alot of experimintaion before next season.

Once again thank you for all the advice.

You will be much happier with the Accubonds, and they do kill elk at short and long range. I just shot my antelope at 675 yds with a 200 gr Accubond.

Ive already got the box of partions but know that i know that the accubound is a boattail i will probably go with that. If someone could give me a discription of how the inners of a accubound are constructed that would be great? I understand how the partion works and that why i have only used it so far.
Thanks

http://nosler.com/accubond.html

There is the info from the horse's mouth. Basically, the lead core is molecularly bonded to the copper jacket. The make up of the copper jacket is beefier than regular ballistic tips. Hornady's Interbond and Swift's Scirocco are very similar make-ups. Each company boasts how their minute differences are better than the competition. I am shooting the 165 Interbonds in my 300 WM this season for whitetails. They group very well, and Nosler doesn't make a 165 gr Accubond, yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Don't worry, the NP will work great, but the AccuBond offers better long-range stability and has a ballistic advantage over the NP. Good luck with your 2005-06 season.

Stephen

[ QUOTE ]
but know that i know that the accubound is a boattail i will probably go with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't sweat the boat tail design unless you expect your bullet to drop to subsonic on it's way to the target. At supersonic speeds it really isn't doing much for you. But I'm not trying to sway you from the accubond either as it is an efficient bullet. Just saying that the BT design may not really be a big concern for you.

Did you mention the ranges you were going to be using the bullet at or did I miss that part? That is helpful info to have thought about.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts