Which binos for high country long range hunting

After guiding for over 30 years and looking through a lot of binoculars I felt the Swaro and Leica had to be the best. I also looked through a pair of top end Zeiss and those came home with me. Are they that much better? Not really. At that level there is no better, just personal preference. I liked the way the Zeiss felt and they gave me the best field of view with my glasses on. I also prefer the 10x42's. They're not too big or heavy, I can hold them steady enough to use off hand, and when they're on my Outdoorsmans tripod and pan head I've been able to count times on deer at unbelievable range.

My swaro 15x are my everyday binos. They are game changers. More big deer have met there demise due to the swaro 15 than any of my custom guns, can't shoot what you don't see.
Tripod is a must with them.

On a coues hunt I spotted a nice buck 1 mile or so away. Broke out the razor 11-33 spotter and could see LESS detail than with my swaro 15x. Needless to say the razors went away.

Now the biggest game changer was BTX puts you in a whole new realm of glassing.

For your case if you don't want to haul to binos look into 12x50 ELs or top end Liecas if they make 12s. Not too shaky to use off hand and great on a tripod

I am writing this from Fishtail Ranch in northern New Mexico where I'm on an elk hunt. Watch your weight on hand held binoculars because your arms will break down very quickly if you like to glass for long periods. I am using a pair of 8 by 30 SLC's and they are great. I can use them for long periods without fatigue.
A tripod is almost a must if you intend to glass for long periods of time and I recommend them highly. We are using one for a pair of 10 X 42 rangefinder binos with a tripod and that is working out well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts