What Binos for long range hunting?

Don-

What if a non-hunter is out strolling with his dog? He's not required to wear orange. Are you still comfortable with "scoping" him?

Gary,

I can tell the difference between somebody walking their dog and a deer.

As I already said: When I see a "deer" (Keyword is "Deer") I then look at the "Deer" through my scope - which is mounted on my rifle.

Clear enough?
smile.gif

Don
smile.gif

For long range hunting in my neck of the woods I carry several sizes of binoculars I carry Leica 10x42 I consider them mid-range binoculars I also pack around a set of 15x60 Docter Optic binoculars on a tripod and these I would consider longrange binoculars I also pack around a spotting scope. I use the Docters the most I love the Swarovski 15x56 they are sweet and my next purchase.
There are a lot of people that do not hunt the same. The use of optics while hunting not only will make hunters better they allow them to take larger animals consistantly.
I would not think of going hunting without binoculars they are so important in the style of hunting that I do. I would advise shaky to try hunting with someone with the right knowledge about optics and how to use them this should be a great help for you and taking game in the future and safty to the other hunters in the area.

For general glassing I use a pair of 7X40 IOR Vak=ldada. They are heavy but are optically good for the money compare them to Leica or Zeiss because they are sold with a 30 day guarantee by some vendors so you can compare. For spotting sheep we use a pair of 20X80 Steiner Military Marines on a tripod. I have being shipped a pair of Swedish Nife 8x50/140 WWII binoculars that have a built in rangefinder and I'll report how they worked later. Another excellent choice are WWII German Flak Binoculars and they are 10X80 and will out perform most 20X binoculars due to their high resolution or they were underrated and can be found at gun shows at the 200-300 dollar range. here are a lot of choices and prices out there but some of the older military stuff from Germany can offer a lot of value.

yotebate,
I use a pair of Swarovski 10X42 mounted on a tripod with a Leica spotting scope. I have them both pointed at the same spot. I locate with the binoculars and identify with the scope. After I have glassed everything within a couple of miles, I will glass distant objects with my scope. Good Luck, Ken

I have a pair of Pentax 10-42 dcfs. They are a roof prism type and I like them very much. On a recent hunt in SD this summer I had a chance to compare them to a pair of Lecia's The only slight differnce I could see was in the very edge of the glass seemed to be clearer in the Lecia's. I was told that I would have alot of eye fatigue from my " cheap " pentaxs. None at all on either types.
I also don't look at things on the edge of my sight I center the object.
I dropped mine out of a tree and Pentax re-aligned the lens for free I had them back in less thatn 2 weeks total time. Nice glass for the money. I would like a pair of BIG
EYES mounted on a tripod some day.

Spotter

Can you describe your tripod setup or better yet email me a picture and I will post it.

We use two 60MM Spacemasters or two Kowa 77mm or 82mm spotters in an adjustable bracket for the ease of use and eye strain. They are for tripod use.

We also use the large Military field and ship glasses when we find good ones. My wife likes the 10X 80MM German Flak glasses and I like the 100MM German or Jap Military units of around 20X.

The old Bousch and Lomb Balscopes in a bracket makes a fine outfit also.

Over the years I have put together at least 40 sets of the Bushnell 60 MM Spacemasters and Balscopes for hunters and shooters.

Since most of our longrange shooting is normally much further then 1000 yards, we opt for a stationary set up and the use of tripods and large objective lenses units.

Just for added information.
Darryl Cassel
View
View

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: Len Backus ]

Shaky, the scope might be fine to locate a deer after seeing what looks like an animal with your bare eyes. But using just one eye (presuming you have a good pair) WILL tire your vision more than using binoculars.

And it is patently unsafe to glass using your riflescope when mounted on your rifle. Your muzzle is not pointed in a safe direction if you are glassing with a riflescope, blaze orange being the law or not.

Even for short range observation, it makes a LOT of sense to have binoculars, because of their greater field of view, smaller eyestrain, and safety.

Another brand of long range binos that merits some serious consideration is Fujinon. Heck, some of their big glasses were used to discover a new comet! God knows they'd be adequate for land creatures. The tradeoff is always cost/quality, and weight.

Any 'long range' hunters who don't use binos for glassing are shortsighted, stubborn, unsafe, or just plain cheap. Your fellow shooters and outdoor enthusiasts deserve top consideration.

Nate,

Please tone down your posts a little. Your last paragraph is not very respectful or productive. We are doing quite well on this forum so far without having members make personal attacks.

Otherwise, welcome.

Len Backus
Administrator

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: Len Backus ]

For the price, you can't beat the Kahles
10 X 42. We compared the Swarovski 10 X 42 and can not tell any difference, except of course the 350.00 price tag. They are hard to beat.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.