Which binos for high country long range hunting

I've been considering selling my spotter and replacing it with the 18x56 uhd vortex binos. Used them at a match, pretty awesome

If you go rangefinding binos, then the Leica are noticeably nicer than the swaros. way better ergonomics, and the glass was unbeatable. best I have owned is my Razor HD 12x50s, but I have spent alot of time behind other glass and comparing things head to head of tripods. just my 2 cents. Good luck and congratulations on your upcoming dream purchase!

If I was in your situation I would also go with the 15X Swarovski and put them on a tripod. I think they have been my best hunting related purchase. I own 10x Swarovski, 90mm Swarovski spotting scope and BTX piece. Often I don't pack the spotting scope if I'm going to be doing a lot of walking that day.

Great info guys. I am curious about the UHDs as well
I always pack my spotter to setup for filming the hunts.
Have you compared the UHDs to swaro els

Being a guide and working closely with my outfitter buddy I vote Swarovski and leica. I have the swaro 10x50 EL. He is running the Leica HD B 10x42. This is a game of clarity vs magnification. The leica and swaro imho are on par with each other. Both very good glass and after days of glassing the eye strain isn't bad compared to other optics I have used. Many seem just as good until after about 4 hours, then the higher quality starts to show.

It's really hard to not want to go to higher mag glass and eliminate the spotter. The problem for me is that most higher mag glass is not really enough to measure out tines long distance. So the spotter comes out and 40x - 50x is the mag needed to get that data. On the other hand, using a higher mag bino for locating is hard if not supported well. Tons of shake, low light performance is so so, etc. In the end I tend max out at 12 power, and prefer 10 for a bino to spot. To get detail I need 30x or more.

On another note, I do also use a scope adapter for my phone to my binos and can zoom in and snap a pic. I can edit and zoom more to get a bit better detail of tine length.

Brent, are you picking out mulies in rocks? You know why I ask this if you've done it a lot. Whole different game
Mpayne, Have you compared them to anything else high end?

Brent, are you picking out mulies in rocks? You know why I ask this if you've done it a lot. Whole different game
Mpayne, Have you compared them to anything else high end?
Yeah. Predators are tough too. That is why I said clarity vs mag. The clarity and color make a difference to me. Being able to pick up the shades of the antlers etc requires something that doesn't distort that picture. I guess you could just go thermal bino.

I have lived and hunted Idaho my whole life and decided to finally get that "last best" pair of binos. I currently own razor hd 10x50s and had razor 12x50s before that. I pack a spotter also. Thanks

clarification: primarily used for picking out bedded mulies in rocks and brush. Not easy to do

I have lived and hunted Idaho my whole life and decided to finally get that "last best" pair of binos. I currently own razor hd 10x50s and had razor 12x50s before that. I pack a spotter also. Thanks

clarification: primarily used for picking out bedded mulies in rocks and brush. Not easy to do

I own both the Swaro 10x42HD and the Leica Geovid 10x42HD-B rangefinder binoculars. I prefer the Leica binocular clarity. Also the Leica warrantee repairs are much, much better. Swaro wanted a fortune to make a minor fix to a rangefinder I sent to them. Swaro wanted over $300 to replace an activation button that never worked well since new so I told them to forget it. Leica made a rangefinder alignment repair for free.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.