Which binos for high country long range hunting

Mram10us

Update:
Leaning toward the swaro el 12x50. Stop me if they suck for the money!

I have lived and hunted Idaho my whole life and decided to finally get that "last best" pair of binos. I currently own razor hd 10x50s and had razor 12x50s before that. I pack a razor spotter also. Thanks

clarification: primarily used for picking out bedded mulies in rocks and brush. Not easy to do. I use the binos on a carbon tripod and use the spotter for detail and filming

Last edited:
It would be our pleasure to discuss this with you. For BF weekend we have the:

Leica #40801 10x42 Geovid HD-B's on sale for $1,999.99

The Swarovski SLC 8x42 for $1,549.99 and the 10x42 SLC's on sale for $1,599.99

Give a call and let's discuss what might be best for you
Doug
516-217-1000

I live and hunt in Idaho as well and I got a pair of SLC 10x42s this year. I am 24 and to be honest, I don't think I'll ever need another pair of Binos. At $1599 thats almost what I paid for a lightly used pair. I can't compare them to other high end binos, but the amount of elk and deer I saw while glassing this year astronomically increased over last due to the color "pop" that they have. I highly recommend them.

It would be our pleasure to discuss this with you. For BF weekend we have the:

Leica #40801 10x42 Geovid HD-B's on sale for $1,999.99

The Swarovski SLC 8x42 for $1,549.99 and the 10x42 SLC's on sale for $1,599.99

Give a call and let's discuss what might be best for you
Doug
516-217-1000
My wife says I can't talk to you guys again after your sale on hst mil 6-24s :)

I used a pair of the Maven 18x56s during elk and deer season this year and really liked them. A lot. For glassing open country the magnification seems 'right' and the field of view was still excellent. Worked well in low light. Edge to edge clarity is completely acceptable. Might see how they work for your eyes.

I also have lived and hunted Idaho my whole life and I am now running
Leica HD-B 3000 and swaro ATX 65 on gitzo tripod and fluid head, I have found a way to use way tripod head without an adaptor for my binos and its solid and I can glass hands free all day.
ill also add that in a day in day out comparison right next to a set of the 10x42 razor hd a good friend would start getting head aches and ask to look through my HD-B's and he was blown away by how the animals "popped" and how easy they were on his eyes .. i tried his and after about 5 minutes I just set his down and used my swaro spotter!!
I've used all of the alpha binoculars or been around them to use along with alpha spotters and in my opinion there is no comparison to Leica and swaro on binoculars side and leica, swaro and zeiss on spotters.

for me the Leica hands down is the best glass ive ever looked through PERIOD Even Over Swarovski!!! its hard to explain the coatings they use and the way they make everything very distinguished and pop makes them the best in my mind ,,, the swaros have a more yellow color to me .. others have said this as well and it takes a little more time behind them to find the same animal specially in a real glare situation and or a lot of particulates in the air. Ive used them in the Sanoran desert where finding a couse deer is like finding a needle in a hey stack!! There is nothing ive glassed that's harder to find!!

I have heard great thing about the maven stuff but haven't been around them to get a good side by side ..

Last edited:
I want the best since I already have razor hds. Would maven be the top or equal to the razors?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.