Which barrel length for the 215 Bergers?

TackDriv3r

Hi guys, I am having my .300 Win Mag built very soon, something has been itching me about barrel length. Most of my hunting rifles use a 26 inch barrel, and I was hoping to use a 215 Berger on this .300 Win Mag if I plan to hunt big game, if that is what most of you guys are using for barrel length for long range hunting in the 300. I checked Quickload and I see that the node is best with 180 bullets but not for the 215 Bergers if I use a 26 inch barrel, but the 24 inch barrel shows the node with 215 Bergers. What do you guys recommend on barrel length? Hoping to get the correct length so I won't regret it later if I get the wrong length.

Do I get to choose bullet weight that I plan to use to get correct barrel length in relation to use the perfect node? If I decide to use 180 grain bullets, then I need to use a 26 inch barrel and if I want to use 215 Bergers, then I need to stick to 24 inch barrel? I am a bit confused and hope for some insight. Thanks

Hi guys, I am having my .300 Win Mag built very soon, something has been itching me about barrel length. Most of my hunting rifles use a 26 inch barrel, and I was hoping to use a 215 Berger on this .300 Win Mag if I plan to hunt big game, if that is what most of you guys are using for barrel length for long range hunting in the 300. I checked Quickload and I see that the node is best with 180 bullets but not for the 215 Bergers if I use a 26 inch barrel, but the 24 inch barrel shows the node with 215 Bergers. What do you guys recommend on barrel length? Hoping to get the correct length so I won't regret it later if I get the wrong length.

Do I get to choose bullet weight that I plan to use to get correct barrel length in relation to use the perfect node? If I decide to use 180 grain bullets, then I need to use a 26 inch barrel and if I want to use 215 Bergers, then I need to stick to 24 inch barrel? I am a bit confused and hope for some insight. Thanks
Barrel length has more to do with which powders will work best for you not which bullets.

The longer the barrel the more velocity you can achieve with the slower burning powders and those will give you the best barrel life.

More than anything the twist rate is going to effect whether or not you can shoot the heavy for caliber bullets.

If I were building a new .30cal today I'd probably go with a 1:9 twist rate.

If you are planning to use this rifle primarily in hunting heavy cover a shorter barrel will be more maneuverable but as a rule longer and heavier is steadier and steadier is more accurate.

I never heard of barrel length creating accuracy nodes. I would think it is more a function of the load not the barrel.

I wouldn't worry about barrel length. If the rifle comes with a 24" use it. If you are ordering a barrel to install pick any length you desire. I have used a few 30" barrels which yield higher velocities, as WildRose already stated, but that length may not be practical for all types of hunting.

I do my own barrel work. I rechambered a 24" 300 win mag to 300 RUM. The price was right and the velocity loss wasn't a big deal with the 230 gr berger. The rifle is light and handy. So basically use any barrel length you want.

I agree that barrel length in of itself has little bearing on establishing an accuracy node. I use a 24" barrel on my Rem700 Milspec 300WM. It shoots both 210 and 215 Bergers in the .25MOA range at velocities that are within 10-20 FPS of my buddies 300WM with a 26" tube. I get 2900FPS with Berger 210 Hunting VLD's and 2975FPS with the Berger 215's using Retumbo and experience no issues burning slow powders like H1000 and Retumbo. ES is under 10FPS. The 24" barrel with the addition of a muzzle brake feels a bit more manageable for me.

Attachments

• IMG_0406.jpg
    IMG_0406.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 127
26" Brux on my 300 WM. Shoots the 215 right at 3000 fps with H1000. Don't think you can go wrong with a barrel from 24-28". As said earlier it depends what you are using the rifle for.

I agree that barrel length in of itself has little bearing on establishing an accuracy node. I use a 24" barrel on my Rem700 Milspec 300WM. It shoots both 210 and 215 Bergers in the .25MOA range at velocities that are within 10-20 FPS of my buddies 300WM with a 26" tube. I get 2900FPS with Berger 210 Hunting VLD's and 2975FPS with the Berger 215's using Retumbo and experience no issues burning slow powders like H1000 and Retumbo. ES is under 10FPS. The 24" barrel with the addition of a muzzle brake feels a bit more manageable for me.

I just realized a typo in my post. I get 2875FPS with 215's not 2975FPS.

Thanks, just wanted to get the confusion cleared up. I'll be looking forward to a 26 inch barrel, cannot go longer because it would be too heavy to carry around.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.