Barrel length for 308

Ive been playing with barrel lengths in 308 and I think they are right 20" is about perfect. I found no benefit with 24 and 26" barrels for 308. At 30 or 32 you can push it to the next velocity node but that's really 1000 yard f class stuff.

Ive been playing with barrel lengths in 308 and I think they are right 20" is about perfect. I found no benefit with 24 and 26" barrels for 308. At 30 or 32 you can push it to the next velocity node but that's really 1000 yard f class stuff.
I agree. As I stated in my first post I think 20" is hard to beat for all round use and that is what I would have if I only owned 1 308. But since I have both ends of the spectrum covered I am happy with what I have.

Planning a build and looking for input. Is there really any noticeable difference in a 22" vs 24" barrel for a 308? Was planning on a 24" barrel but now that I think I want to add a break I was wondering if I will loss much velocity if I went 22". This is for a hunting rifle with shots kept under 400 yards
If you aren't putting a can on it I would go 24 minimum.... personal preference is 26"

I should have included that as well. I hunt and shoot suppressed so most of my rifles are 18" or shorter for that reason.

Not Long Range, but, I'm interested in the Bergara BA13 with the 16.5" barrel. I'm thinking with 165gr Woodleighs, it should be a good 200 meter outfit. Probably capable of more, but not needed for my intended use in Australia.

Planning a build and looking for input. Is there really any noticeable difference in a 22" vs 24" barrel for a 308? Was planning on a 24" barrel but now that I think I want to add a break I was wondering if I will loss much velocity if I went 22". This is for a hunting rifle with shots kept under 400 yards
It really depends on your load and if you want to spot your own shots. Or if you think the recoil is going to be a bit much. I have a Win M70 Featherweight 22" 30-06 that I usually shoot 180gr through. No break and it's comfortable to shoot. But I can't spot my shot at 400 yards. 800 yards I can sometimes spot the hits. You could always try it with a 24" barrel and break, and chop off excess later on if you like. Can't add 2 inches though.

Thanks. Not worried about recoil. 308 is pretty much the lightest weight / caliber rifle that I have with the exception of a few AR platforms. In CA there isn't much I need a heavier caliber for and I'm old school so I went 308 because I already have a bunch of ammo for it and it is usually (except today) easy to find and affordable.

I don't own any rifles with a break but I think I want to add one to this build for my kids to shoot. They are still young and with less recoil maybe I can get the to shot more

I'm running a 23 inch barrel on the recommendation of GAP. Have taken 175s to 1k with superb accuracy out of a 11.25 twist. This rifle was built for mostly longer shooting but if I was building a do all gun I'd probably go 20". I've shot an 18" 308 with 168 extensively and it was a little lacking past 800 but out to 400 was fine.

I don't own any rifles with a break but I think I want to add one to this build for my kids to shoot. They are still young and with less recoil maybe I can get the to shot more
Given your parameters of 400 yards or less you should be fine at 22 inches and adding a brake. My brother lives down there and one of his pig rifles is a M70 308 win. I think it has a 22 inch barrel and he uses Hornady 150 gr GMX in it.

Really since it's for your kids it's whatever weight they can handle that will be the deciding factor. Once you put a brake on it and a good recoil pad it should be nice to shoot. Good luck!

I have a blueprinted Remington PSS for work. which after reading a survey of top barrel makers like Mike Rock, Lilja, Gardner, Krieger and a few others I cut to 22". The consensus was that the 308 maximizes burn at about 22". Of course this is somewhat dependent on powder and bullet weight. A good friend of mine was a police sniper for a long time and built custom rifles for LE only, to be used in that arena where one shot to end a threat and save a life requires the most repeatable cold bore accuracy. He built all of his rifles with 25" barrels, not for velocity but he believes that this handles harmonics better. Most were Hart barrels with .830 muzzle 1-10 twist. I used one of his rifles at my sniper school and shot a 3 shot 1/4" group at 200 on 10 power, prone with factory Federal GM 168. My best 3 shot group at 100 was .320 edge to edge which would be .012 center to center. I know that this combination works. All that to say that for a hunting rifle I would used a no 5 taper or around .700 at muzzle, 1-11 twist and probably 22 or 23" for portability. Sometimes the additional length gets in the way. The shorter the barrel the more muzzle blast could be a factor, I know guys who really like short barrels and if it works for them, great. It's just not what I would do. I'm doing a build now with my first Kelbly's Atlas Tactical action and Brux Rock Creek design Sendero barrel 1-11. I chose the Atlas because of its overall reputation but largely for the trigger hanger which allows me to tune the trigger timing.
I try to offer practical real world experience based advice. Choose wisely and enjoy.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.