308 barrel length

SamuelBerryhill308

Hello all I'm sure this has been asked on here before but I wasn't able to find what I was looking for.my question is what is the optimal barrel length for 308 win I have a remington 700 sps tatical with 20 inch barrel and I can't get the fps I would like to get out of it im getting just over 2700fps with 152 hh and mid 2600 with 168 amaxs I've been thanking of having it rebarreled but this rifle shoots .350 with both loads and before I just chunk a good barrel with less than 500 rounds on it I've been looking at just buying another rifle with longer barrel either 22 or 24 inchs.so my question is which barrel length would be optimal for 308 and also is these velocity good or just average for a 20 inch barrel and what should I try to get more fps out of it.by the way both loads are 45.5 grains of varget in lupua brass 2x and federal 210m.with the long chamber/throat in this rifle I'm around loading to max box length because the bullets aren't hardly in the case any were near the lands.thanks in advance

What is it that you can't do that an extra 100-150fps is going to help? It's a 308, not a rocket ship. If you have 2 loads shooting .35, run with it and know the limitations of the round. Great thing about a 308 or a 223, they'll teach you how to shoot in the wind.

I guess the question is.. why do you need more velocity? To get more distance?

Switch out the .308 to a 300 PRC, 300 Norma, 375 Cheytac, 33XC if you want more distance...

20" is enough. I can hit 1000 no problem with a 17" barrel in .308.

We need to know what you want... honestly you are good. Or get the 6.5 Creedmoor or 6mm Creedmoor if you want a bit more. Just depends on what you are really looking for.

i would buy another rifle. Not because you need it, but because you want it. I love the 308. I need other one with a heavier barrel just for the fun of it. The current one is 22" light sporter barrel. Great for 3 shots, but gets a bit of whip after it heats up.

I am planning to try some 124 hh in it to see what I get I may just be asking to much for that set up.and I'm looking at purchasing a new rifle anyway and was just curious what the best barrel length was for 308.i have a 300 wsm if I was to shoot a rocket in those grain weight bullets.i was mainly wondering if the numbers I'm getting out of the rifle were good or above average. This rifle I'd the rifle I grab first when I go hunting and I'm confident in it its just not a good carry/hiking rifle due to weight and since I am looking at a new rifle I was thanking of a nice 308 rifle with a longer barrel but like I said I'm not sure what the optimal length is. And there's two rifles I'm looking at one with 24 inch barrel and one with 22 inch.i may end up getting a wild hair and just going with 300 wm and then ill have a due all rifle

Let us know what you ultimately get. It may motivate some of us (me) to make the jump. I love a light rifle when doing a lot of walking while hunting, but also want one that I can settle into on the range.
Will do it maybe couple weeks just depends on how thangs work out in the next week or so have to sell or trade a few rifles to make room and the rest of the funds for whole new set up

First let me say I love my 308. I have had three iterations of this rifle and have found what I really like so it's possibly my favorite gun to shoot. That being said, based off the comments you've made and the question you are asking, I would look at a different caliber. Your numbers with the 168s are a tad low IIRC but not by much. I think you are "peeing into the wind" so to speak, by looking to add 2-4 inches of barrel on a 308. Now if you were looking at silhouette shooting or F-class then by all means, slap a 30 inch heavy Palma on that bad boy and go to work.

"In MY opinion" the 308 is a work horse that has a niche of sub 800 yards and comes in a short package (18-20 inch barrel).

Keep the rifle you have and shoot the **** out of that barrel! Get the next rifle in a different flavor that checks your boxes in speed and accuracy.

First let me say I love my 308. I have had three iterations of this rifle and have found what I really like so it's possibly my favorite gun to shoot. That being said, based off the comments you've made and the question you are asking, I would look at a different caliber. Your numbers with the 168s are a tad low IIRC but not by much. I think you are "peeing into the wind" so to speak, by looking to add 2-4 inches of barrel on a 308. Now if you were looking at silhouette shooting or F-class then by all means, slap a 30 inch heavy Palma on that bad boy and go to work.

"In MY opinion" the 308 is a work horse that has a niche of sub 800 yards and comes in a short package (18-20 inch barrel).

Keep the rifle you have and shoot the **** out of that barrel! Get the next rifle in a different flavor that checks your boxes in speed and accuracy.
Thanks for your input and I really like the 308 as well the very first brand new rifle I ever bought was chamber in it and I've been hunting with one for around 11 years now.and I've owned four differ 308 rifles and the one I have now want be going anywhere that is the one rifle I'll keep or hand down to one of my boys.and it's the first caliber I handloaded for as well.i believe I am going to leave this rifle the way it is barrel action wise and shoot the barrel out before rebarrel I just need a better fitting stock and maybe nicer glass. I believe my next rifle will be a 300 wm or find a 30-06 I really like.(always need one of those around) and I have everything reloading wise still from my last 30-06.i believe a 308 would be good out to 500 for elk size game with the right bullet and shot placement maybe some one can chime in on that as well but I know it's capable to that for deer size game no problem

Will do it maybe couple weeks just depends on how thangs work out in the next week or so have to sell or trade a few rifles to make room and the rest of the funds for whole new set up
Sam
I have the same rifle (wish I had two) and shooting a mild 2550 with 43.5 of varget so you are doing good. I think 26" would be optimum for the 308.
Sounds like your shoots like mine and factory and shoots as good as some of my custom
You should just send me that one and get you a new one. LOL

Thanks

Buck

Sam
I have the same rifle (wish I had two) and shooting a mild 2550 with 43.5 of varget so you are doing good. I think 26" would be optimum for the 308.
Sounds like your shoots like mine and factory and shoots as good as some of my custom
You should just send me that one and get you a new one. LOL

Thanks

Buck
Lol I hear ya on that I wish I had another one to mine shoots real well i do with it was threaded.the length wise is hand but I made mine to heavy some were down the line and want to loose some weight on it and get a better fitting stock.i would really like to have a ltr or 5r model to go with this one but no luck yet