.308 barrel length

TireurDelite

Hello,

I was wondering what length you 308 shooters are using? I was debating between 24 and 26 inches. Will longer than 26 even matter?
The gun will be used for target so accuracy will have to come first but I could use the extra fps with no significant lost in velocity.

Thanks for your time.

24 ins. is plenty long enough,it will result in a slightly stiffer barrel,which in turn should yield slightly better accuracy.personally i wouldnt fret a few fps.if accuracy is the number one goal---dave

Just to be different I get my .308's cut to 25". Really not a big deal, we have some at 22 that are tackdrivers.

Ian
I have a 10 twist Hart that was cut from 24" and rechambered at 22" and I feel it is more accurate at 22 than 24 and the rifle is handier also.
If it is going to be used under 800 yards 22" is fine. With Fed Match 168's I lost 35 fps.

The most accurate .308's in the world under 11 lbs.are shot by the Hunter benchrest crowd. The most common length for their shooting discipline is around 21 to 21.5".

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple"> I was wondering what length you 308 shooters are using? I was debating between 24 and 26 inches. Will longer than 26 even matter? </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think the 308 has the case capacity to use anything much longer than 22". I agree with the experts who've posted above ( 20 - 22" stiffer barrel ) When Kirby send me my new .308 I'll tell you how long the barrel is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've owned and shot several .308's, as that cartridge is my favorite little pet. I've found unless you need 22" or more as a handling issue (mostly in hunting rifles), anything over 21" isn't beneficial. Some would argue a barrel that short will hurt you out to 1000 yards. I've used Remington M700 LTR's with 20" barrels and a few custom sticks with 20" and 21" barrels and haven't ever had a problem getting a bullet out that far. No problems so long as the nut behind the trigger does his part, anyhow.

Accuracy-wise, my best groups have come from 20" barrels. I don't shoot BR, though, so my experience is tactical and hunting rifles only.

I don't have a lot of experience actually shooting many .308's, so I'm only basing my answer off of "theory".

The .308 isn't a particularly "overbore" cartridge and will not, therefore, benefit as much from a longer barrel in terms of increased muzzle velocity and reduced muzzle blast. The muzzle velocity isn't going to be that much higher with a couple extra inches of barrel and the muzzle blast isn't that bad anyhow.

The increased weight as well as the reduced rigidity and manueverability will probably outweigh the benefits of a longer barrel more quickly with a .308 Winchester than it will with more "overbore" cartridges.

If high velocity is a significant concern of your's, you might want to consider a different cartridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.