Barrel length for 308

Planning a build and looking for input. Is there really any noticeable difference in a 22" vs 24" barrel for a 308? Was planning on a 24" barrel but now that I think I want to add a break I was wondering if I will loss much velocity if I went 22". This is for a hunting rifle with shots kept under 400 yards
Todd Hodnett, of Accuracy First/former paid top gov shooter/trainer of government shooters, prefers heavy barrel 18" .308s. Likes the stiffness and consistency......consistency is King. He says one can always dial drop regardless of velocity impact of the shorter barrel, but can't ever dial for variability.

Todd Hodnett, of Accuracy First/former paid top gov shooter/trainer of government shooters, prefers heavy barrel 18" .308s. Likes the stiffness and consistency......consistency is King. He says one can always dial drop regardless of velocity impact of the shorter barrel, but can't ever dial for variability.
Yep, ands shoots them to a mile. There are much better guns to shoot that far but a capable shooter who can call wind or with a spotter who can call wind can stretch the legs on a short barreled .308 to distances most people think is impossible or BS. A faster twist then conventional thinking helps keep the bullet stable through transonic and into subsonic, think 8 twist on the 308. It's not typically going to be first round on target at a mile but once you get it worked in it is consistent. Besides most guys claiming first round impacts at a mile with just about any gun are mostly BSing, you make your money on the second shot at that distance.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.