Which barrel is good choice?? 195 bergers

paulatherton21

I'm looking to build a rifle for the 195 bergers... I usually use bartlein barrels. But the only barrels with 8 twist I can find are benchmark and krieger... I live in Pennsylvania and elevation is no more than 2000 feet so I think the 8 twist would be better than 8.5.... any input would b greatly appreciated.... even caliber choice? I was thinking a 7 rum would push them the fastest...

Cool what kinda results u getting? Which caliber?

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/new-berger-7mm-158646/index2.html

copied from the 195 eol thread.... post#583
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1114195

Well.... we got the rifle over the Oehler 35 today.....

The low was 2922 and the high was 2941 for the five shots over the chrono after the foulers. An x of 19 fps for 5 shots isn't that bad...

I fired a .907" 200m group with her today...
I put my Pops on the rifle to prove the load and he settled in for a .712" group at 200m after the barrel cooled from my groups.

Yeah.... I don't know much about benchmark... I found a krieger in 26"... but I was leaning towards 28"

I don't have hands on experience with them but Benchmark barrels are good.

Lilja makes them in 1:8" (even in 1:7") in 3-groove >>> Calibers and Twist Rates - Lilja

Standard length for their blanks is 28" and finished at 27" but order longer for an extra charge.

I have a 30" Lilja barrel with 1:8" 3-groove in my .270 AI that is quite the shooter using 165/175 Matrix VLDs and it stays very clean/hardly fouls.

Good luck!

I'd like to find a barrel that finishes 28"... I don't want to order ... trying to throw something together before hunting season... I'll probably end up going with a benchmark #6 27" finish.... that's about all I can find

Third Generation has a 28" Medium Palma (basically the same as a Sendero) Krieger. It's only a few ounces heavier that a #6. That's what I'd buy if it was me.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.