28 Nosler and 195 Bergers Barrel Freebore??

theicon2u

I just ordered a barrel and I want to shoot 180 and 195 Bergers out of it. Should I send the barrel maker a dummy round loaded at max COAL for my mag (3.600) and tell him .020 shorter than that or do I just have him cut the chamber at Saami spec.? Im not sure what to do I've never had to deal with shooting a crazy long bullet like the 195. If im thinking about this all wrong please get me lined out.

Thanks!

You are thinking correctly for a custom chamber. However, a call to the maker first is warranted. They will know what the freebore is on the reamer that they use, and may already know how that relates to the Berger bullets.

A PM to Len Backus is also worthy to see what his recommendation is. He has experience with the exact components that you are considering.

Jeremy

You are thinking correctly for a custom chamber. However, a call to the maker first is warranted. They will know what the freebore is on the reamer that they use, and may already know how that relates to the Berger bullets.

A PM to Len Backus is also worthy to see what his recommendation is. He has experience with the exact components that you are considering.

Jeremy

Well I sent Len a message. We will see what he has to say. If anyone else has any input that would be great.

Just wanted to get in, just ordered a 1-8 twist barrel for a friend with the exact same thing in mind! Please post your findings.

I got a similar question. I have my barrel and the action I'm using already has a Wyatt's box installed so I'm thinking I can throat it longer and take advantage of case capacity. I'm curious to find out what Len is doing.

RH

I got a similar question. I have my barrel and the action I'm using already has a Wyatt's box installed so I'm thinking I can throat it longer and take advantage of case capacity. I'm curious to find out what Len is doing.

RH

Roadhunter-

I don't know what type of powder you are planning on shooting but I built a very similar wildcat (shortened 7mm RUM, just .005" shorter then the 28 Nosler). Just before the 26 Nosler came out.

Shooting the 180 Bergers with only the boat tail seated below the neck (so fairly long) I still have a little room in the case with Retumbo. I would think with the 195's you may want that bullet to actually eat up some of the capacity.

I know, I know, I can barely believe I just said that myself! But what I've always looked for is a completely full case of powder and a bullet seated as close as possible to the lands. Look at some BR cartridges with "good genetics" and I think you'll see what I mean!

Well I got a response from Len it was short and sweet. "andre, the dummy round makes sense. Good luck with your project." I was hoping he would give me more but oh well.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts