28 Nosler freebore?

Predator 22

What are you guys using for the 195 berger on your reamers? I measured best I can by setting a set of calipers at .283" and measure back to the neck and came up with .285" with the base of the bullet at the neck shoulder junction.

I read through that and actually contacted Ryan. He wouldn't tell me what kind of freebore he was using. If I wanted what he had he would build me a rifle. I would guess he is using a stepped throat type. I'm hoping someone has done this especially setup for the 195 and will tell me if I'm in the ballpark.
Thanks for the reply though.

Send a dummy to Dave Manson. He will set you up with a reamer or a saami reamer and throater. Reamer/throater is route I went so if something didn't work out I could set barrel back and cut saami chamber. I'm seating at 3.735 and IIRC I needed ~.030" more freebore than saami

In the thread I linked to, within the 1/4 to 1/3 of the posts of that thread, I would think, has all the info needed. Certainly more than enough to get "in the ball park" No it will not get you custom throat angles or tweaks to the case area of the chamber spec, which are the reasons I never made public certain reamer prints myself, but throat length the info is there. No it is not "the throat length length is ...." but the info needed is all there.

There must be multiple variations of the 28 Nosler reamer out there. I see a lot of people running them at 3025-3050 max. And a few running at 3125-3175.

Yes this is typical of just about any cartridge that gets popular. The main dif is the amount of throat length with allows to load longer or should i say to the ideal setup between bullet and case and still have the normal freebore or jump. But you can also if you have the case capacity pick up a good amount of vel by allowing for a larger jump but accuracy can get finicky doing that. IT all depends on what powders work with the case capacity etc..how it all pans out.

He is looking for throating the chamber specifically to shoot the 195 which is a long necked bullet that needs to be set way out to keep the boattail out of the shoulder area of the case.

The vel dif you see is a difference of roughly 0.4" of throat.

The velocity difference I have seen is with different Reamers being used. Same coal or free bore. Must be different throat angle, or twist.

Well different reamers can have different freebore unless you actually tested it. But if you say they didn't OK. Certianly the angle the throat is cut out can effect things. I have never seen a sammi throat put out that kind of velocity within the sammi psi.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.