28 Nosler

I love my 28 nosler it's flat shooting and hard hitting. I'm running 195s at 3.8in max coal with nv570. Very accurate! Wouldn't mess with a 28 on a tikka action the mags just aren't long enough to use the cartridge with heavier bullets. I shoot have shot whitetail with mine but prefer my 6.5-284 for obvious reasons. If you have any questions feel free to send me a PM.
I built a 28 nosler on a tikka and it is fine. 3.37 is plenty long for 180s which seem to be what all the guys are moving toward. The 180hyb shot better than anything but nothing shot bad. Love the cartridge

I built a 28 nosler on a tikka and it is fine. 3.37 is plenty long for 180s which seem to be what all the guys are moving toward. The 180hyb shot better than anything but nothing shot bad. Love the cartridge

All personal preference at the end of the day and my opinion is that if you're going to build a gun why not build it to its full potential rather than limit it. Regardless of what you do you will be happy with the 28.

All personal preference at the end of the day and my opinion is that if you're going to build a gun why not build it to its full potential rather than limit it. Regardless of what you do you will be happy with the 28.
How is the full potential not reached by having bullets set near saami coal? If it's accurate, isn't that the goal?

The gun will be accurate with good parts and loads, regardless of chamber length being short or long. The thread was started based upon the best long range cartridge, so wouldn't you say that a long throated 28 pushing the bullet faster would fit the bill better than a saami spec 28 nosler?

The gun will be accurate with good parts and loads, regardless of chamber length being short or long. The thread was started based upon the best long range cartridge, so wouldn't you say that a long throated 28 pushing the bullet faster would fit the bill better than a saami spec 28 nosler?
I agree that the faster of the two, assuming accuracy is the same, will be better from a ballistic standpoint. I cannot argue that. My point is, don't discount a tikka based 28 nosler based on the shorter coal. A short action Rem 700 is not as long as a tikka, but plenty of very accurate wsms have been made on them.
I'd be curious to see the speed difference between the two.

Glad this could be discussed in a civil manner on here unlike some of the things I've been seeing lately haha. I know they're not like remingtons, I think they're better as a donor action for a lot of applications. I am planning to build a WSM on one shortly!

Glad this could be discussed in a civil manner on here unlike some of the things I've been seeing lately haha. I know they're not like remingtons, I think they're better as a donor action for a lot of applications. I am planning to build a WSM on one shortly!
I have to be civil because I'm not always right :) Like you said, personal preference has a lot to do with it, I just didn't want the OP thinking a 28 nosler on a tikka couldn't shoot as far as he was capable. Post your wsm build! I just built a 300wsm on a tikka and love it.

I just placed an order for a new Q half Nelson suppressor so my pockets will need some recovery before I start one haha I'm pushing the 195s at 3150ish currently. Plan to take it out to a mile in the next few weeks. It will shoot plenty far for the OP!!

On the subject of suppressors, how do you guys think a harvester would do with a 28 nosler?

I have a little experience with the harvester but do not own one so my input isn't the best. However with the longer barrel and under 90grs of powder you should be fine. I would call silencerco though to verify as it's rated up to 300 win mag. Which has a slightly lesser case capacity as the 28.

Sedancowboy I have an Alliance Custom Armory 28 Nosler, what have you found to be the most accurate load for you in 180 VLD and 195 EOL?
My Winchester was a 7STW so it is long. Mine likes anything in the 175-195 range.
I currently shoot 175s at 3211fps. I am not home to see my notes but the 195s is North of 3100fps. I am not taking powder space with the bullet which is important to me when building a custom rifle.

I believe that the boatail junction being above the neck shoulder junction is more important than the little powder gain. When you start pushing bullets into the donut you start to lose accuracy.
Shep

By the way I have built 3 of these and worked on a Browning hells canyon. They were all very accurate and not fussy about the load. The Browning surprised me. It shot under 2 inches at 300 yards with factory ammo. Pretty good for out of the box accuracy.
Shep

I just placed an order for a new Q half Nelson suppressor so my pockets will need some recovery before I start one haha I'm pushing the 195s at 3150ish currently. Plan to take it out to a mile in the next few weeks. It will shoot plenty far for the OP!!
I'm getting about the same as you for speed and shooting lights out with my 28 also. What are you running for a load and freebore?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.