28 Nosler

Clem Bronkoski

As long as I can remember I was always a fan of sub 30 caliber rounds. It started with the .243 over 50 years ago, then the 270 win, followed by the 7mm-08 and lastly the 6.5CM. All have worked exceedingly well for me over all these years. Yes I did take some critters with the .308, 30-06 and 300WM.
But I got to watching a video on the best cartridge for long range and the gentleman from, I believe, Rock Ridge Precision said that he considers the two best cartridges are the 28 Nosler and the 300RUM. I'm really considering the 28 Nosler because I would believe the 300RUM in a long range rifle would be a bit much more than needed in the recoil dept. Or should I just stick with my 6.5CM. I don't really plan on doing any LR hunting except for antelope and whitetails. More so just shooting steel out to distant targets.

6.5cm are nowhere near the same category as the other two. I have built and shoot all 3. Rum isn't a heavy kicker if given the proper brake. Either the 28nos or 300rum will do you very well for lr.

No need for a 28 on antelope- you can kill them with a well hurled insult.
It's a really neat cartridge that seems to really shine with the long and heavies. Might be wasted on pronghorns and cleaning up whitetails
If you bang steel well with your 6.5cm your probably set.

No need for a 28 on antelope- you can kill them with a well hurled insult.
It's a really neat cartridge that seems to really shine with the long and heavies. Might be wasted on pronghorns and cleaning up whitetails
If you bang steel well with your 6.5cm your probably set.
I'm still laughing about the "well hurled insult" comment :) A 28 Nosler with a brake kicks like a puppy and light weight 162 ELD or 168 bergers do an amazing job on Whitetail and antelope. Many other calibers would work though. I love my 300 rum, but wouldn't take it over my 28 nosler for wt or antelope

I'm right there with you. A 28Nosler is on my short list. I think the 6.5 will still be in the safe for shooting steel inside 1K but having that high BC for hunting at distances will be great. Go for the 28. Some will say the 7mm RM due to a number of reasons(availability) but if you reload then the 28 will be great.

I'm right there with you. A 28Nosler is on my short list. I think the 6.5 will still be in the safe for shooting steel inside 1K but having that high BC for hunting at distances will be great. Go for the 28. Some will say the 7mm RM due to a number of reasons(availability) but if you reload then the 28 will be great.
Built a good friend a 28 nosler carbon lr type rifle and all he shoots is hornady precision hunter 162s. They just shoot. Don't be scared if you don't handload.

I definitely handload. I can't remember when I used factory ammo for hunting. The last time I even purchased factory ammo was for my 6.5 last year. I bought 5 boxes of Hornady ammo only because it was almost as cheap as just buying the brass. I used it to break in the barrel and get my scope sighted in close for handloaded rounds. The remainder I just used to ding steel plates at the 300 yard range where I belong.
Being a lefty and to get a 28 Nosler in a LH action I would have to go the custom route. I can get a Bergara HMR in 300 win mag in LH.
Looks like I'm going to be doing some internet searching. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Here is my version of the rifle you are looking for. It is a absolute hammer.
IMG_20191003_091111409_HDR.jpg

I've been eying the 28 nosler too. My thoughts were to build on a tikka which seems to be pretty popular for 28 nosler builds. That would definitely be a lefty friendly platform

I love my 28 nosler it's flat shooting and hard hitting. I'm running 195s at 3.8in max coal with nv570. Very accurate! Wouldn't mess with a 28 on a tikka action the mags just aren't long enough to use the cartridge with heavier bullets. I shoot have shot whitetail with mine but prefer my 6.5-284 for obvious reasons. If you have any questions feel free to send me a PM.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.