Which 7mag? 7lrm, 7dakota, 7 rem mag

I never called anyone a moron. Go back and re-read. I said that if I was to claim something like the example I stated, I would be called a moron.

I never called anyone a moron. Go back and re-read. I said that if I was to claim something like the example I stated, I would be called a moron.

I'm not going to argue about it but when put in context its pretty clear. He posted about 7rum barrel life so you said if you made a claim about extended barrel life you would be called a moron.

I wasn't calling anyone a moron. So, you can read it how you want to make it sound in your own mind. But my opinion is allowed, just like his is.

My opinion is my own, and based on my own personal experiences and reasonings. I know tons of people (locally) who have burned up 7RUM barrels in alot of less than 1,000 rounds. I've shot lots of 7RUMs. I even have a box of 7RUM brass sitting on my reloading stand from where my buddy tore his apart and built a heavy barreled 7mm STW, after 20 rounds with the RUM, because he couldn't get a consistant POI no matter what.

My smith hunts with a .300 RUM (so you know he's not biased against the RUM calibers), but he says he changes most customer's 7RUM barrels at around 600-850 rounds, and once bore-scoped they're trashed, whether they'll still shoot or not.

I wasn't calling anyone a moron. So, you can read it how you want to make it sound in your own mind. But my opinion is allowed, just like his is.

My opinion is my own, and based on my own personal experiences and reasonings. I know tons of people (locally) who have burned up 7RUM barrels in alot of less than 1,000 rounds. I've shot lots of 7RUMs. I even have a box of 7RUM brass sitting on my reloading stand from where my buddy tore his apart and built a heavy barreled 7mm STW, after 20 rounds with the RUM, because he couldn't get a consistant POI no matter what.

My smith hunts with a .300 RUM (so you know he's not biased against the RUM calibers), but he says he changes most customer's 7RUM barrels at around 600-850 rounds, and once bore-scoped they're trashed, whether they'll still shoot or not.

He gave up after 20 rounds huh. Did he think of trying a different load or brand of ammo

Anyway, back to the Dakota. The question of recoil was brought up. Mine is a 9 lb rifle in a Boyds JRS precision stock. I shoot 160 Nosler AB's at 3150 comfortably with no break. I would compare the recoil to be very similar to a 7 RM or 30-06 on the top end. Definately less than the 300 WM or UM. I have a friend that built a Dakota on a Model 700 with a #3 barrel and a 1 lb stock. He put a brake on the rifle and it has very little felt recoil, very tolerable for his wife and daughters to shoot. There have been a handful of guys who have had rifles built in 7 Dakota after looking at his rifle and mine. They have all been very happy with the choice. This cartridge is easy to load and shoots great. Brass is well designed and very durable. If I wanted to push this case I'm sure that it would produce some amazing velocities. I'm happy to mimic red hot 7 MM RM loads with light loads in the Dakota. Best shot so far was a cow elk looking directly at me uphill at 506 yards. A 160 AB to the middle of the chest dropped her in her tracks and she slid 100 yards down a steep snowy slope leaving a red swath that was visible with the naked eye. In my OPINION, the 7 Dakota is the perfect long range big game caliber. Here is my Dakota with a nice Idaho whitetail. My 16 year old daughter pulled the trigger.--------SS

Attachments

• IMG_0796.JPG
    IMG_0796.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 44
He gave up after 20 rounds huh. Did he think of trying a different load or brand of ammo
Well, seeing as to how it wouldn't shoot consistantly MOP (Minute of Pieplate) at 100 yards. It wasn't going to shoot anything good. I mean it literally was lucky to shoot 4" groups. The cold-bore zero was perfect. If you shot a 2nd shot it was a crap-shoot as to guess where it went inside of a 4" circle. Same goes for the 3rd shot. You couldn't even get 3-shot groups without letting it cool down completely for a 2nd and then a 3rd cold bore shot.

Anyway, back to the Dakota. The question of recoil was brought up. Mine is a 9 lb rifle in a Boyds JRS precision stock. I shoot 160 Nosler AB's at 3150 comfortably with no break. I would compare the recoil to be very similar to a 7 RM or 30-06 on the top end. Definately less than the 300 WM or UM. I have a friend that built a Dakota on a Model 700 with a #3 barrel and a 1 lb stock. He put a brake on the rifle and it has very little felt recoil, very tolerable for his wife and daughters to shoot. There have been a handful of guys who have had rifles built in 7 Dakota after looking at his rifle and mine. They have all been very happy with the choice. This cartridge is easy to load and shoots great. Brass is well designed and very durable. If I wanted to push this case I'm sure that it would produce some amazing velocities. I'm happy to mimic red hot 7 MM RM loads with light loads in the Dakota. Best shot so far was a cow elk looking directly at me uphill at 506 yards. A 160 AB to the middle of the chest dropped her in her tracks and she slid 100 yards down a steep snowy slope leaving a red swath that was visible with the naked eye. In my OPINION, the 7 Dakota is the perfect long range big game caliber. Here is my Dakota with a nice Idaho whitetail. My 16 year old daughter pulled the trigger.--------SS

Hey Spring,

Thanks for the info. Its going to be a #3 bartlein 24-25in.

Personally i just shoot better at longer ranges with a lesser recoiling rifle. so if the 7dakota isn't leaps and bounds above the 7rm in recoil i may have a winner!

What are you using for dies? I can't seem to find a redding type s bushing FL die only the neck die.

What powder and primer combo?

my plan is to run the 180 hybrids if it likes them with H1000 or retumbo (7828 if i have to). i have lots of both powders. most 7 dakota loads I've seen have been h1000

Last edited:
Hey Spring,

Thanks for the info. Its going to be a #3 bartlein 24-25in.

Personally i just shoot better at longer ranges with a lesser recoiling rifle. so if the 7dakota is leaps and bounds above the 7rm in recoil i may have a winner!

What are you using for dies? I can't seem to find a redding type s bushing FL die only the neck die.

What powder and primer combo?

my plan is to run the 180 hybrids if it likes them with H1000 or retumbo (7828 if i have to). i have lots of both powders. most 7 dakota loads I've seen have been h1000

Barrel life very important to me. After shooting my 7mag with new barrel, and all the works. I am very pleased,

I have RCBS FL dies and a Redding Neck sizer. I use Dakota brass, F-215m primer, 74.0 gr. IMR 7828, Nosler 160 AB seated .030 off the lands in my 26" PacNor #4 bbl. hope this helps.--------SS

^^^^^^this is a good question!^^^^^^ I have one of those too and it has been a pure pleasure. Mine is surpassing my expectations for performance as well, especially considering that I don't load on the top end.-----SS

^^^^^^this is a good question!^^^^^^ I have one of those too and it has been a pure pleasure. Mine is surpassing my expectations for performance as well, especially considering that I don't load on the top end.-----SS

Im thinking i want more velocity than what the 280 ai is pumping out, especially because I'm wanting to shoot the 180's

2800 with a 180 ain't nothing to sneeze at.......especially with all the other attributes of the mainstream Ackley. 2800 ain't 3000 either though........choices.--------SS

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.