Which 7mag? 7lrm, 7dakota, 7 rem mag

mtnclimber

In the process of putting together a new build. Last item of concern is caliber. I've decided on a 7mag but can't decide which one.

Looking for people with any info on a 7rem mag vs. 7dakota vs. 7LRM comparison.

Mainly recoil and barrel life.

Also where can a guy get 7 lrm brass? I've been looking on gunwerks and can't find any.

I have a Dakota, brass is expensive but great. Performance is good and recoil is manageable. Mine has been solely a big game rifle with several one shot boom flops on deer and elk out to 506 yards with the 160 Nosler AB at 3150 FPS. Not a screaming load but very accurate and easy on the rifle and brass. I shoot 74 grains of 7828 behind a 160 AB. The rifle is a Ruger 77 action with a 26" PacNor. I wouldn't hesitate to build a long range rifle in this caliber. Several friends have used my reamer and been very happy with the Dakota. Best designed big 7 in my opinion.----------SS

I have a Dakota, brass is expensive but great. Performance is good and recoil is manageable. Mine has been solely a big game rifle with several one shot boom flops on deer and elk out to 506 yards with the 160 Nosler AB at 3150 FPS. Not a screaming load but very accurate and easy on the rifle and brass. I shoot 74 grains of 7828 behind a 160 AB. The rifle is a Ruger 77 action with a 26" PacNor. I wouldn't hesitate to build a long range rifle in this caliber. Several friends have used my reamer and been very happy with the Dakota. Best designed big 7 in my opinion.----------SS

Who sells the 7 dakota brass besides midway? its the only place i can seem to find it.

How many rounds do you have down the tube so far? has your accuracy tapered off yet?

Dakota Arms sells brass. They have a huge lot being made right now. In the 14 years I have been shooting this cartridge, this is the only time I had to wait for brass.

7mm RUM is hard to beat...

You must be joking...... That has the worst barrel life out of all the mainstream 7mm's. Roughly 600-750 rounds.

My vote goes to 7mm RemMag or 7mm STW. I've had one of mine for over 12 years now, and have over 750 rounds down the tube, and she still shoots sub-1/2 MOA 5-shot groups on a regular basis. I bet she's got another 750 in her easily.

I've had several 7mm RM's. Currently have 2 of them. Awesome caliber. It is truly my favorite all-around hunting caliber. It can do it all from varmints to moose....Even bear.

I have about 500 rounds down the barrel of my Dakota and it is still shooting very well. I don't know about issues getting brass because I'm still using the original 100 that I bought from Midway when I had the rifle built. My load is relatively light and I'm thinking that the brass might last the life of the rifle. I will have another built when this one goes south for sure. I have had three 7 mags and currently have an STW along with the Dakota. The Dakota is by far my favorite of the three. Don't know why this one isnt more popular but I seeing a little resurgence with custom rifles.---------SS

I have about 500 rounds down the barrel of my Dakota and it is still shooting very well. I don't know about issues getting brass because I'm still using the original 100 that I bought from Midway when I had the rifle built. My load is relatively light and I'm thinking that the brass might last the life of the rifle. I will have another built when this one goes south for sure. I have had three 7 mags and currently have an STW along with the Dakota. The Dakota is by far my favorite of the three. Don't know why this one isnt more popular but I seeing a little resurgence with custom rifles.---------SS

Sounds like a sweet rig! My build is going to finish at 7.5 lbs before scope and bipod so I am a little worried about recoil. How would one compare it to the 7RM? I will be putting a break on it. I have a 7rm that weighs about 8lbs naked right now with a good brake on it and it's real comfortable to shoot.

Just wondering if I'm in for a wallop with the 7 Dakota or if it's similar to a 7rm.

You must be joking...... That has the worst barrel life out of all the mainstream 7mm's. Roughly 600-750 rounds.

No joking at all, if you want maximum performance you gotta sacrifice something. And no, barrel life is not 600 rounds, it is well over 1000. The 7mm AM is 1000+ also.

But, then look at the 26 Nosler...same casing, smaller bullet...:rolleyes:

No joking at all, if you want maximum performance you gotta sacrifice something. And no, barrel life is not 600 rounds, it is well over 1000. The 7mm AM is 1000+ also.

But, then look at the 26 Nosler...same casing, smaller bullet...:rolleyes:
No, the 7mm RUM is not "well over 1000" rounds of ACCURATE barrel life. Been proven numerous times. I can claim to get 5000 rounds of barrel life out of a 7mm RemMag, too....But if they aren't accurate shots, it doesn't count, and I'd just look like a moron.

And I also said "of the mainstream 7mm's"....I didn't say anything about wildcat calibers, which is what the Allen Mag calibers are.

Also, I don't know why you mentioned the 26 Nosler....I hate that caliber. I think it's grossly overbore. Also, there is a member on here who blew through a 26 Nosler barrel is less than 600 rounds.

No, the 7mm RUM is not "well over 1000" rounds of ACCURATE barrel life. Been proven numerous times. I can claim to get 5000 rounds of barrel life out of a 7mm RemMag, too....But if they aren't accurate shots, it doesn't count, and I'd just look like a moron.

And I also said "of the mainstream 7mm's"....I didn't say anything about wildcat calibers, which is what the Allen Mag calibers are.

Also, I don't know why you mentioned the 26 Nosler....I hate that caliber. I think it's grossly overbore. Also, there is a member on here who blew through a 26 Nosler barrel is less than 600 rounds.

It largely depends on the shooter, they can and will last over 1000 for a hunting rifle, benchrest probably not.

All the high performance rounds give up barrel life to gain velocity...it just depends how fast you wanna go! :D gun)

Barrels are a consumable object.

If the OP is at all interested in wildcats then look at a 7mm/338RUM or a 7mm/300Win...

There is no reason someone can't get 1200 to 1500 accurate rounds out of a 7 rum. A fella a shoot with has one with 1000 rounds give or take and its a 1/2 - 3/4 moa gun its not a target gun its shot a few times before season to check zero then its shot hunting so its not subjected to heat like a target rifle. I can shoot the barrel out of my 30-06 if I shoot hot loads with multiple consecutive shots. Putting the recent post in context calling someone a moron for having an opinion on barrel life is being a blowhard...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.