Which 6.5 Flavor?

So this could end up being a year or two out but I'm wanting to put together another custom build and this time in a smaller cartridge that would get shot a lot for many different things.

I'm leaning toward one of the higher performance 6.5 such as SAUM, PRC or Sherman Short. What I have in mind is to run a light load with a 140ish grain pill at 2900 fps or so for most shooting and hunting but I want the ability to run the 156 EOL up around 2950 fps if the hunt warrants it. I would build with a 26" barrel so I'm not pushing harder for velocity.

Some key points to consider.
Will any of these cartridges need a medium or long action to run the 156 EOL seated out where it belongs?
What is the case capacity of each cartridge?
Which cartridge will have the best feeding?
How is the the Sherman stamped brass (I believe ADG)?

I am partial right now to the Sherman Short Tactical but I don't know if it will achieve my velocity goals or what all else is out there to ponder?

Thanks for your help and experience guy's
I built a 6.5 prc and 6.5 saum gap 4s( shorter freebore). I prefer the 6.5 saum. The 6.5 SS would be just as good and likely a slight performance edge over my saum. I'm at aprx 3150fps with a 147 &n570 in the saum. The ss would likely do that with less pressure. The 6.5 prc is a good avenue to take if you see yourself having to rely on factory ammo ( if it ever becomes available again).

Actually, the .260 Remington is superior to the Creedmoor by 100 to 300 fps
The Nosler blallistic tip factory load.) DoD PUBLISHED testing showed accuracy to be equal. Reloaded the .260 Remington IS markedly supperior to the Creedmoor.
If you want more bang and boom, the 6.5 PRC is the way to go. Somewhere
on this forum, there is a recent photo of a fantastically small three round group at (bit over three inches?) over 1.100 yards!
'Doc' Dempster

I own a 260 and a 6.5CM. The difference in performance between the two is negligible.
F3FAFEE7-7323-4CB1-A738-8C6827837DB1.jpeg

I own a 260 and a 6.5CM. The difference in performance between the two is negligible.
View attachment 260550
Killed my first buck a 11 pointer with a 6.5 Swede custom stocked carbine that has a piece silver soldered and turned too barrel diameter to make it legal lenght I have two more swedes if their on a strong action and loaded too potential especially the ai version best thing since sliced bread that being said I also have two 6.5x284s had a 6.5 06 and two 6.5 prcs one prewin 64 with a bartlein barrel long action and a Curtis Axion short with a Proof 26 in sendero light my opinion the 6.5 Prc does all you could want for a 6.5 cal throat it right with a oal 2.80 bottom metal and the wright twist for the bullets your going to use dosnt get much better than that

So this could end up being a year or two out but I'm wanting to put together another custom build and this time in a smaller cartridge that would get shot a lot for many different things.

I'm leaning toward one of the higher performance 6.5 such as SAUM, PRC or Sherman Short. What I have in mind is to run a light load with a 140ish grain pill at 2900 fps or so for most shooting and hunting but I want the ability to run the 156 EOL up around 2950 fps if the hunt warrants it. I would build with a 26" barrel so I'm not pushing harder for velocity.

Will any of these cartridges need a medium or long action to run the 156 EOL seated out where it belongs?

I am partial right now to the Sherman Short Tactical but I don't know if it will achieve my velocity goals or what all else is out there to ponder?

For ease finding brass and flat out performance. Try considering the tried and true 6.5×55 swede. In modern long actions, this old timer loaded up to where it should be will make these NEW AND IMPROVED cartridges take a step back and pay attention to the old man on the block. With long actions, bullets can be seated out a long way.
Also check out the 6.5-06. Easy to size the brass and performance you will not be disappointed in with 140gr bullets.
Last but not least. I'm very happy with my 6.5 - 257 roberts improved in a long action. Very impressive cartridge.
And as always. Just my opinion.
Good luck

NORDIC ADDENDUM...
Actually, if you consider a properly blue-printed long action,
the 6.5x55 {AKA the 6.5 Swede,' or in EU/CIP 6.5x55SE) is worthy
of serious consideration.. I:n good rifles, there are photo's and
reports of very small groups at very long range . And, recall,
literally thousands of Scandinavian Moose, which run up to 4-00
pounds heavier than the North American version are harvested
annually. The most common load is the widely available
Norma 156-grain Oryx. Also, the 6.5x55 is easy to hand-load;
Lee used to mke their nifty liee Lee Loader in 6.5x55!.
Doc D

I really like the 6.5x284 or a 6.5-06 AI. The reason I push people to the 6.5x284 is because of the lapua brass which is always available. They shoot great with a wide range of powders and have been long range accuracy winners.
Not only Lapua, but Peterson as well. I wanted to buy another 100 for a new build, and just this week had to choose between the two since both were in stock. That is a good problem to have.