Which 6.5 bullet for elk?

My rifle has harvested 4 whitetail and 1 hog so far this season. 140 H Vlds at 3170fps. Distances were 200,378,550,580,720. The 200 had a 2" exit hole. The 378-580 had a 3/4-1" exit. Then the 100lb hog at 720 was shot through the heart and on the exit side you could see where the bullet was protruding out of the muscle but didn't make it past the hide probably due to the thick cartilaged shoulders of hogs. I think it would do well on elk at closer ranges, but I would prefer a 338

Tagging on. Worked up a good load with 140 gr Berger elite haven't killed anything with it, but have killed a lot with the 7 mm 195 gr elite it has worked great so far.

I used the 135 grain berger classic hunter on a couple cow elk last year. Weren't really long range endeavours per se (300-350 yards) but worked just fine. Shot placement was behind the shoulder with my 6.5 creedmoor at about 2800 fps. Both elk absorbed the shot and then ran about 20 yards and tipped over.

That being said, I am going to try the 140 ELD-M this year and see how she does. I have had very good success with 215 hybrids out of my .300 win mag, anxious to see a "target bullet" from the Hornady camp in action.

I second the 30 Nosler. I know it's not what you asked for and may not be what you want to hear, but there is no way I would hunt elk with a 6.5 anything if I also owned a 30 Nosler.
I don't think anyone who hunts them would argue there is not a harder antlered animal in North America to put down then an elk.

I use 140 Berger VLD out of my 6.5 Sherman@3250 this year I punched a Bull Moose a 405 yards 1 shot ,and he rolled down the hill. A couple years back I took a book mule deer @1135 1 shot never left his tracks bullet went clean through 140 Berger out of my 6.5 284 . While I would like to play with 150 or 160 matrix I may wait for 155 Berger to come around instead.
I hunt Elk every year ,and while I missed out this year I would not hesitate at putting one down with a 140 Berger at extended ranges of 5-600 yards but I do like the close shots like my LR Whitetale buck this year at 25FT.

Hornady ELD-X
Barnes LRX. The Barnes LRX is a homogeneous bullet, meaning it's made out of one solid material, which happens to be copper.
Nosler AccuBond Long Range

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.