Elk bullet?

Well...not trying to start a p/&$ match, but I was a hard core believer in the Hornady Interlocks, until I started pushing them a little faster. With the increased velocity (at close range), the Bullets opened very rapidly and shed 35 or so % weight ...resulting in minimal penetration. The deal breaker was...a spike bull elk, shot at <100 yards, behind the shoulder ( hide,one rib, lung material), bullet did not exit. This from a 270 grain .375 cal.

A friend of mine ( and several others) shot a lot of mule deer does (additional permits) with Randy Brooks testing the then new, Barnes X Bullet (using a 6mm Rem). As I recall....close to 30, one shot kills, and only one bullet recovered.

With this knowledge, I wanted to test in my 375 AI. Developed a load...270 grainers @ 2900. Following elk season, had an opportunity for a "Texas Heartshot" at just under 100 yrds....an ideal way to test bullet performance.

The bullet entered just left of the circular target, shattered the pelvis, continued thru intestines, liver, diaphragm, left lung, exited in left leg pocket (armpit), re-entered upper leg, and was recovered beneath hide on off side of foreleg. This is three (3) hide penetrations, heavy bone (pelvis), and full-lenghted the elk. Bullet recovered had broken off one petal, and weighed 257 grains.

This was the bullet performance I wanted for my AI. I have used Barnes Bullets ever since...and they've only gotten better with continued development. memtb

Last edited:
Thanks for all the resposes guys, I appreciate it! Looks like I've got some tests to run on these bullets. I'll let you know what I end up going with.
Keep the responses coming.
Thanks again!
Scooter

I've killed multiple bull elk with my 300 WSM from 90-400 yards. I generally use a 180 gr Accubond traveling 3025 fps. I changed over to the 200 gr ELDX (2952 fps) this elk season. Shot him just under 100 yards and it was bang flop. I haven't had to track any of the elk with either bullet. That being said, if you're going to shoot max of 400 yards, the Partition will be a hammer on elk, too. If you're dead set on using an all copper/monolithic bullet, you'll want a lighter bullet that you can push at higher velocity so it's terminal performance will be better. Honestly, if you want the all copper bullet, buy some Hammer Bullets for they will outperform any Barnes bullet. Steve is one of the owners and is very active on this sight and will help you load these bullets. They also have a money back guarantee. I've switched over to these bullets in 5 of my 6 calibers.
A 180 or 200 gr Partition in the 30-06 and a 160 or 175 gr in the 7mm will be great "elk medicine" in your weapons

I used a Barnes 150 gr. TTSX factory load in my 3006 this year to take a mature 6 pt. The bullet put a 1 inch hole through 1/2 + thick bone then penetrated completely through the vitals so I didn't find the bullet. The bull went 10 yards slammed on the brakes staggered 20 yards and done. Destroyed the vitals.

I'd also say it's worth trying the swift bullets either scirocco or a-frame

I used a Barnes 150 gr. TTSX factory load in my 3006 this year to take a mature 6 pt. The bullet put a 1 inch hole through 1/2 + thick bone then penetrated completely through the vitals so I didn't find the bullet. The bull went 10 yards slammed on the brakes staggered 20 yards and done. Destroyed the vitals.
it's worth trying

In my 30-06 I shot a white tail doe with the Berger 180gr Elite Hunter slightly quartering away. About 80 yards or so. She went about 30 yards full pass through and blood trail was good, like really good, like highway good. I was concerned about the close shot and the Berger, not concerned anymore.

I wouldn't hesitate to use that on an elk.

End of the day, shoot what your rifle likes and be confident in that bullet to put it in the boiler room.

In my 30-06 I shot a white tail doe with the Berger 180gr Elite Hunter slightly quartering away. About 80 yards or so. She went about 30 yards full pass through and blood trail was good, like really good, like highway good. I was concerned about the close shot and the Berger, not concerned anymore.

I wouldn't hesitate to use that on an elk.

End of the day, shoot what your rifle likes and be confident in that bullet to put it in the boiler room.

A 150 pound whitetail is NOT a 750 pound bull elk...

I do like Berger bullets, but that's a pretty absurd comparison.

Guy

A 150 pound whitetail is NOT a 750 pound bull elk...

I do like Berger bullets, but that's a pretty absurd comparison.

Guy

Ok. For the OP stated ranges I think that bullet is MORE than adequate.

At sea level. 180 Elite Hunter MV of 2727 FPS at 575 yards= 1937 FPS/ 1500 ft lbs of energy.
180 Nosler Partition at 2750 MV. At 550 yards = 1803 FPS/ 1300 ft lbs of energy.

Last edited:
I used Partitions on many elk until I got tired of all the meat damage they caused. They performed as expected. Usually I found only the base of the bullet intact. The front would just be gone. Thus in my mind, the great amount of meat loss. Mind you, I never lost an elk shot with a Partition. While attending a RMEF show I stumbled upon a booth showcasing the very new, Swift A-Frame. He couldn't sell me any but, took an order and I received the bullets about 3 weeks later. That following elk season my "hunting" for a elk bullet was over. After that I only used the A-Frames and meat loss was drastically reduced.

So many choices! Lol. Again, I appreciate all the resposes and experience with these bullets. I'm gonna end up shooting whichever one shoots the best for me. I just wanted to hear some real world experiences with elk/elk sized animals and bullet performance. Thanks again and keep the responses coming.
Scooter

If you know you're going to limit shots to around 200 yards give or take, I'd stick with an Partition or bonded bullet. Personally I have shot a pile of animals with Accubonds and have been pleased with the results at all ranges.

I shot an elk this year with a 338 ELD-M and was also pleased, but it was a 700 yard shot. If I KNEW it would be a 200 yard short give or take, as said above I'd go with a tougher bullet for insurance.

My experience with Barnes bullets has been negative. As stated by others I have witnessed them open but not fracture the petals and fail to penetrate well. Buddy shot a deer and got a beautiful flower petal souvenir, but a long recovery due to shallow penetration. In the most egregious example the following year, I shot a YEARLING deer in the shoulder with a 3" 12 gauge Barnes slug. The bullet created an awful splash wound on the shoulder blade and broke it, but did not penetrate, leading to a dreadful experience for both me and the animal that caused me to swear off Barnes bullets.
Funny how we all have difference experiences with the same product isn't it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.