Elk bullet?

scooterf79

Hey guys,
I have my 1st elk hunt scheduled for next fall and I'm starting to look into bullets. Right now, the plan is to use a 7mm rem mag and 30-06 (one for dad and one for me). The guide is saying most shots will be under 200yds. Im liking what I read about the Barnes TTSX penentration and running a lighter bullet than traditional lead core. Of course the partition is good. Shooting the eld-x in 2 of my other rifles has been 50/50. One shoots them well, the other not so much.
Thanks for any info!
Scooter

My vote would be the partition or the Barnes. At 200 yards and under, both will open well and not come apart. If going Barnes, for the 7mag, I would go with the 150 Gr Barnes. It's not the lighter of the Barnes bullets as there is a 140 Gr bullet but even with the 150 Gr bullet, you will still be get st or over 3000 FPS with it so it is going to open up just fine.

For the 30-06, I would use a partition in the 165 to 180 Gr range. With the slower velocity of the 30-06, the partition is going to open easier than a Barnes bullet will.

But to be honest, either Barnes or partitions are gonna take elk at 200 yards.

Barnes 165 or 168 TTSX/LRX. Good BC ( though not important at short distances). Great weight retention ( near 100%), which equates to good penetration on large animals. Both Partition and TTSX are good Bullets. We (wife and I) have used Barnes exclusively since the early to mid '90's.

I used the Barnes 145 LRX this year on my elk and it worked great at 380 yards. I've pretty much switched to Barnes LRX or TTSX for all my big game hunting, they just work better than anything else I've seen. Most bullets (like Bergers) are too soft if you get a close range shot and I'm afraid to put them through the shoulder. Bullets made tough enough for close range typically won't expand at long range. The Barnes LRX will punch through a shoulder at any range and open at extended ranges also.

I used to be a fan of fast expanding bullets but have gradually moved towards tougher bullets as I've gotten older. Nowadays I want something that'll work at any angle, the quick expanding bullets limit you too much in shot choices.

Partition hands down!! The single worst bullets for wounding elk I've ever seen is the Barnes 165 and 168, even in my 300 Weatherby the 168 was terrible!!

I'm not an expert on the .30 cal TSX/TTSX/LRX bullets, and can only assume that the performance is similar across the entire line. My wife (.338 WM) and I (.375 AI) have used Barnes bullets exclusively since early to mid 90's, with zero failures at ranges from 30 to 430 (+or-) yards. Animals taken from Fox/coyote to moose. The only animal lost, was due to a poorly placed (hurried) shot. The only animal (small 6x6 elk) that required a second shot...approx. 300 yard. shot, across a draw, and badly misjudged wind...gut -shot.

I've seen many animals taken by Barnes bullets, some with calibers I wouldn't hunt elk with... that have given pretty remarkable performance. Anything made by man can and will fail. We've just not had that experience with the Barnes Bullets....yet!

We're not world-wide hunters, and lack the experience of many in the field...but the Barnes Bullets have "never" let us down. memtb

I ran Barnes exclusively for many years, I would not hunt with losers who shot anything but Barnes UNTIL I started helping take elk on pivots in large numbers, it took two years for me to believe and understand what was going on but shooting cow elk in the center of the shoulder with 165 and 168 gr Barnes from 06 to 300 WBY velocities around a third of them would not make it into the chest and either deflecting out the front of the shoulder or flat stopping and just breaking the shoulders.
The issue is they open big and don't shear the petals of and so you have huge frontal area but since we've bought into the light fast theory we are shooting bullet that lake momentum and then the bullet either stops or goes path of least resistance.
If I shoot a copper bullet I shoot ones that will shed the frontal are if met with that much resistance allowing the shank to continue through the vitals and track straight. The ONLY copper bullet I've been sent to test that I could not get to deflect or stop on an elk shoulder was Hammer bullets, Barnes, GS, Cutting Edge all could be put into a position to fail and did and I won't shoot them at elk.
Had I not shot elk in a place where you can see everything happen and they can't just disappear I'd probably still be shooting Barnes and thinking I could shoot through anything.

I ran Barnes exclusively for many years, I would not hunt with losers who shot anything but Barnes UNTIL I started helping take elk on pivots in large numbers, it took two years for me to believe and understand what was going on but shooting cow elk in the center of the shoulder with 165 and 168 gr Barnes from 06 to 300 WBY velocities around a third of them would not make it into the chest and either deflecting out the front of the shoulder or flat stopping and just breaking the shoulders.
The issue is they open big and don't shear the petals of and so you have huge frontal area but since we've bought into the light fast theory we are shooting bullet that lake momentum and then the bullet either stops or goes path of least resistance.
If I shoot a copper bullet I shoot ones that will shed the frontal are if met with that much resistance allowing the shank to continue through the vitals and track straight. The ONLY copper bullet I've been sent to test that I could not get to deflect or stop on an elk shoulder was Hammer bullets, Barnes, GS, Cutting Edge all could be put into a position to fail and did and I won't shoot them at elk.
Had I not shot elk in a place where you can see everything happen and they can't just disappear I'd probably still be shooting Barnes and thinking I could shoot through anything.

That's how you've shot so many elk

I've always been disappointed in a mono bullets too. I've never heard anything bad about partitions at described ranges. I would consider an interbond or Accubond also.

If ur wanting a mono, u should check out hammer bullets, heard good things about them...plus he's a contributor on this forum

Last edited:
I've only shot two elk:
A nice 6x6 bull elk with a 7mm Rem mag/175 gr Nosler Partition at 2900 fps. Range was about 180 yards. Bullet hit low in the chest, just behind the leg, and the bull only took a few faltering steps before collapsing, dead. Bullet exited. I was very pleased.

A fat cow with a 30-06, and a 165 Nosler Ballistic Tip at 2900 fps. Range was 338 yards. Bullet went through the shoulder blade and she was down in seconds, lungs trashed by that very effective bullet. It also damaged the off-side shoulder, but I never could find the bullet. I think it came out with the lungs.

I think the 165 Ballistic Tip performed so well because it does expand fast, yet has a substantial jacket base. Also, at 338 yards it had slowed a fair bit and wasn't being pushed "too hard."

I'd heartily recommend the Nosler Partitions! Probably not a thing wrong with the Accubond, or E-Tip either. And I've got nothing against the Barnes product.

Enjoy your hunt - it should be challenging, interesting, and satisfying!

Guy

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.