Which bullet for tikka t3

Idaho Shooter

Hello,

I have A 300 win. And because of magazine length limitations the maximum seat depth is to SAMII COAL no longer. I can always shoot single shot but would rather use the rifle as designed. From what I have measured the bullet jump is going to be approximately .228. My intention was to load Berger 210s or 190s however their web page discusses the need to adjust bullet depth for maximum accuracy. There is no adjustment flexibility with my Tikka so I am hesitant to purchase bullets just to find they are all flyers.

So the question, what bullets fly best with jump?

I have shot sierra 240s, and Hornady 208s and they actually group fairly decent however both rounds are not designed for hunting and the ogive on the 208 HPs load into the brass neck when loaded to COAL. Darn it.

I think that covers it, thank you in advance.
Greg

Barnes ttsx like a long jump into the lands and are excellent big game bullets that will shoot as far as the light tikka is good for. 180 grainers will work great and you don't have all the extra recoil of the 200+ grain bullets. I use 180 grain cutting edge bullets .6 bc. In the magazine I have 180 grain Barnes ttsx that feed well and shoot nearly identical to the ce bullets for a few hundred yards.

I shoot 87 grains Magpro, cci 250 and push the ce 180 3370 fps out of my tikka t-3. Accurate lists 85.5 grains and it shot well but the 87 grain load shot better in my rifle. Shot a caribou last week at 922 yards with this load. It works great.

Thank you for the reply and introducing me to ce bullets. I will certainly take your advice to heart and start developing my loads next week.

Thanks again
Greg

I have had good luck with 200gr Accubonds loaded to magazine length. ~.75MOA. Also experimenting now with 155gr SMKs. They also come in right under 1MOA. Those were loaded to magazine length as well. Used H1000 for the 200gr loads and H4350 for the 155s.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.