Which 6.5 Flavor?

6.5 saum,6.5 prc, 264 win mag, take your pick. Comes down to what you want. Currently might be good to base off what components you can obtain.... dies brass etc..26 nosler will run 156's

So this could end up being a year or two out but I'm wanting to put together another custom build and this time in a smaller cartridge that would get shot a lot for many different things.

I'm leaning toward one of the higher performance 6.5 such as SAUM, PRC or Sherman Short. What I have in mind is to run a light load with a 140ish grain pill at 2900 fps or so for most shooting and hunting but I want the ability to run the 156 EOL up around 2950 fps if the hunt warrants it. I would build with a 26" barrel so I'm not pushing harder for velocity.

Some key points to consider.
Will any of these cartridges need a medium or long action to run the 156 EOL seated out where it belongs?
What is the case capacity of each cartridge?
Which cartridge will have the best feeding?
How is the the Sherman stamped brass (I believe ADG)?

I am partial right now to the Sherman Short Tactical but I don't know if it will achieve my velocity goals or what all else is out there to ponder?

Thanks for your help and experience guy's
6.5 STW

After re-reading the OP, it seems to me the 6.5PRC would be perfect. You don't have to run a reduced load for what you want to achieve with the lighter bullets, that can be done through powder selection. One other option to consider would be the 260ai. All the brass options (Lapua is available at MW right now) and a little different than what the masses are running right now. Good luck.
Absolutely agree. I might have just lucked out, but I bought a CA MPR in 6.5 PRC and load development led to a recipe of 55.7 grains of RL-26, once fired Hornady brass, CCI BR2 primers and 140 gr. ELD-M. 5 shots @ 100 yds. gave me .248". Bullets set back .02 off the lands. Labradar data: 3030 fps, ES=9, SD=3.3. Like I said, I might have just lucked out but I love this rifle. Total weight w/bipod, loaded mag and mounted scope is slightly over 9 pounds, just right for a broke down 75 year old!

Thank you for the responses guy's.

I know what I'm looking for velocity wise should be pretty easy to obtain. Basically I want a rifle I can run at 6.5 creed or x47 Lapua performance most of the time but juice it up when needed. I figure that would give me a good blend of long barrel life for general shooting and practice but also load to much higher performance if needed for a certain task.

The Sherman does still sound the best to me and if I can easily run it with long bullets in a short action all the better. Not that I'm against going to mid or long action I just only have one short action at the moment and am leaning towards a short.

Another thing I would like to consider is what powder is working good in some of these cartridges? I don't want another cartridge I need to worry about finding N570 or N565 for, I struggle enough to find enough for my magnums.

I would really like to run the IMR enduron powders such as 7977 or 8133, once I can find it again of course.

Another consideration not so much regarding cartridge is barrel profile. What would be a good contour on the heavier side but not as heavy as a sendero?
I've made it my goal with new barrels to try and make the Enduron and/or Reloder powders work in my 6.5-06s because of the copper fouling reducers in them. I scored a keg of IMR7977 from a friend and am also going to be getting some Reloder 26 these days. If they can make Reloder 23 temp stable why can't they do it for Reloder 26?

So this could end up being a year or two out but I'm wanting to put together another custom build and this time in a smaller cartridge that would get shot a lot for many different things.

I'm leaning toward one of the higher performance 6.5 such as SAUM, PRC or Sherman Short. What I have in mind is to run a light load with a 140ish grain pill at 2900 fps or so for most shooting and hunting but I want the ability to run the 156 EOL up around 2950 fps if the hunt warrants it. I would build with a 26" barrel so I'm not pushing harder for velocity.

Some key points to consider.
Will any of these cartridges need a medium or long action to run the 156 EOL seated out where it belongs?
What is the case capacity of each cartridge?
Which cartridge will have the best feeding?
How is the the Sherman stamped brass (I believe ADG)?

I am partial right now to the Sherman Short Tactical but I don't know if it will achieve my velocity goals or what all else is out there to ponder?

Thanks for your help and experience guy's

Actually, the .260 Remington is superior to the Creedmoor by 100 to 300 fps
The Nosler blallistic tip factory load.) DoD PUBLISHED testing showed accuracy to be equal. Reloaded the .260 Remington IS markedly supperior to the Creedmoor.
If you want more bang and boom, the 6.5 PRC is the way to go. Somewhere
on this forum, there is a recent photo of a fantastically small three round group at (bit over three inches?) over 1.100 yards!
'Doc' Dempster