Which 6.5 SAUM Die Set?

yote doctor

Hello. Looking for some help here. My new build is almost complete.

6.5 SAUM
Reamer used (4s “no turn”)

I’ve looked at a few of the available die sets. Just wondering what you SAUM shooters are using and your thoughts. I’ve used the Match S Bushing dies in other calibers but is it really necessary?

Thanks

Prieto9000

I ordered whidden dies for mine. Seater die works great, but sizer die is a little difficult to use. If I don't lube well I get stuck cases and if I lube just a little too much I get dented shoulders. It is very Lube sensitive. Hornady one shot spray case lube won't work. I get a lot of stuck cases. RCBS lube-2 gets me a lot of dented shoulders

jrock

I use the 7 SAUM Redding Type S with appropriate bushings. Works fine and is a lower cost option.

eshorebwhntr

Do the whidden have a vent hole drilled? That would maybe eliminate the dented shoulder.

Yotekiller

I also had stuck and dented cases with RCBS lube with different dies, switched to hornady unique haven't had any issues since.

5RWill

I'd go redding, but i prefer redding to the one whidden set i've had. I'll be going whidden for the 7 SS though as i think it's the only choice.

orch

Another vote for the Redding 7saum FL die with appropriate bushing....
Have the whidden die set as well, I use the seater, works well but had to hone out the sleeve, it was tight and would grab cases and not let them fully enter the sleeve leading to inconsistent seating depth till I figured that out... also had to replace the seater stem in it as it wasn’t long enough.... tried to use the whidden FL die but I get terrible run out with it in my coax press unless I have it threaded right down to contact the shell holder but then it sizes the brass way too short...

Orch

Smokepoles

LRH Team Member
Huh. I’ve had no issues with the whidden non bushing set and unique in a rock chucker. Works great.

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.