which .30 cal would you use to push the new berger 245gr

The small ridge up to a few thousandths in front of the belt formed on first firing needs to be sized back down so it doesn't interfere with the chamber headspace ridge on every firing after resizing. Otherwise that ridge slams into the chamber headspace ridge causing unwanted barrel vibrations during barrel time. Accuracy is diminished a little. The Willis collet die fixes the problem sizing the case body next to the belt where regular dies don't. Use the collet die after a full length sizing bumped the fired case shoulder back a couple thousandths.
I've shot hundreds of rounds from a 7 mag, 300WM and my son in law and grandson both have 6.5 Rem Mags and neither one of us own collet dies.
Set your dies up to size just like any other cartridge to bump .002 and done.
I could see a problem if you run really high max loads but that's a problem with any cartridge at the web or belt.

Actually, the 30 SM would probably make 3000' with a 28" barrel It wouldnt keep up with a Norma Imp, but would be a viable option with a std. mag bolt face.
That's what I was hoping to hear Rich, I'd like to stick to the standard bolt face if i can. Plus i feel like the availability of brass for the prc and SM would be better.

I mean there is diminishing returns with all of it to some degree.

I have a 300 Raptor coming. With the 230gr A-Tip at 3400fps not much will run with it. I mean sure you could bump up to a 338 Chey Tac and run a 250gr Berger but it quickly be over taken.

A middle ground for the big 30's is the 300 Norma. 2850-2900fps sounds reasonable and nothing in North America would argue with it.

Actually, the 30 SM would probably make 3000' with a 28" barrel It wouldnt keep up with a Norma Imp, but would be a viable option with a std. mag bolt face.

I'm sure it would. I didn't know if you had any plans to step up to BIG mags and see what's possible.

What do you think a 24" & 26" 30SM would get?

I mean there is diminishing returns with all of it to some degree.

I have a 300 Raptor coming. With the 230gr A-Tip at 3400fps not much will run with it. I mean sure you could bump up to a 338 Chey Tac and run a 250gr Berger but it quickly be over taken.

A middle ground for the big 30's is the 300 Norma. 2850-2900fps sounds reasonable and nothing in North America would argue with it.

It's true, there is diminishing returns with all cartridges. Where they are most apparent is at the upper limits.
Example from the Lyman 50th manual:
300 win mag 24" barrel, 77.5 grs rx25, 200 GR Aframe= 2901 fps
30-378 weatherby 26" barrel, 102 grs rx25, 200 GR A frame= 3195
294 fps difference (a little less if both barrels were 26") cost 24.5 grs of powder.
I don't care what the OP or others use and I wish you all the best. It's just an opinion.
This situation is akin to pulling trailers with trucks. There's only so much one can do with a 1/2 ton gas vehicle. Sometimes it's done better with a 3/4 ton diesel.

I've shot hundreds of rounds from a 7 mag, 300WM and my son in law and grandson both have 6.5 Rem Mags and neither one of us own collet dies.
Set your dies up to size just like any other cartridge to bump .002 and done.
I could see a problem if you run really high max loads but that's a problem with any cartridge at the web or belt.
Do accuracy tests put 10 shots inside 6 inches at 1000?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.