WHERE WOULD YOU LIVE?

Right here at home. It took us years to finally get moved out to the ranch. Lived all over the country and world. We are truly blessed and we ain't going anywhere! The first photo is a group of axis about 75 yards out my back door.
But I would like to buy a quarter section or so in Southeastern Montana.....no antelope here!
Those axis sure do eat good.

Well unfortunately, there really is no place called perfect.
And if you think there is, then go live there for about 5 years.
Today is different than when i came of age ( 50s ) , in that at least some can earn a very good living without ever leaving home. So that in and of itself can have those people living anywhere they choose.
But some have to live where they can earn enough income to support the type lifestyle they desire with their chosen occupation.
You could be a top shelf heart surgeon, but you wont pay for that education by living in rural Wyoming.
And there are lots of other occupations that also require you live in areas you might be wishing you didnt.
When i retired from my real job at age 64, i followed a dream and moved to the Florida Keys to became a charter fishing captain.
After 10 years of full time living there, i had had enough of living in Paradise, and my wife had had enough long before that.
So again, there are dreams, and then there is reality.
And it wont take very long to find it.

I can relate to this post. I am also wondering if we should move to another state. I grow up 20 miles south of Baltimore. We have children, grandkids and our business in Maryland. In 2008 we moved to a rural area of Maryland (believe or not they still exist here). Hunting and fishing is reasonably good on our property. We have a 100 Y range in the back yard and a 400 Y range within 1 mile. We can literally walk out our back door and shoot. Most of our neighbors are "normal" people. They just want to be left alone and free to do what they want to do so long as their behavior doesn't negatively affect others. So don't laugh when I say things are good here in Maryland except for the political climate. The state is always coming up with some crazy gun law or some silly social policy that encourages people not to take care of themselves and the personal and business taxes are onerous. Even though we really dislike the politics of this state our roots are deep here in Maryland. Would SE central PA be good for us? Moving there would allow us to stay engaged with the family.

AK, until the bears get you, or you grow too old to survive a winter.

Can always carry a flame thrower to melt the path forward...

AK, until the bears get you, or you grow too old to survive a winter.

Can always carry a flame thrower to melt the path forward...
One family here is from Alaska and feel the winters here are mild at -20 degree's.They could not get out and hunt for their animals and fish anymore so they moved here.
My dad was in the army and we lived all over,Fort Bragg,Fort Knoxx,Fort Campbell and overseas for 18 months.
I'm living where I want to live and love it here.I do wish I had a cabin in the mountains but thats life.I'm happy and will stay here until it's time to take the long sleep.

I live in Eastern Oregon and have a lake 9 miles from the house. 800 yard private range 3 miles from the door step, but plenty of blm lands to shoot and hunt on nearby. Greater Idaho would swallow up all the red sections so I'd like it. Low chances it will happen. With all the negatives of living with the skewed politcs of a blue state I'm thankful for what I have right now. Life is hard but at times I can't believe how blessed I am. Western Montana, base of the Bighorns Wyoming, Northern Idaho, Deadwood South Dakota, or Wasilla Alaska are all on my list.
Lived in Wasilla, hunt the Bighorns. Work is halfway between Bighorns and Deadwood. Good choices on all and don't think you could go wrong.

Lived in Wasilla, hunt the Bighorns. Work is halfway between Bighorns and Deadwood. Good choices on all and don't think you could go wrong.
Wait till your 75 move too what you thing is the perfect spot and you probably can enjoy it for the rest of your life . I have about 3 yrs too find out how that works out. I don't have age on my side , but have been blessed with a strong and healthy body and the mind set don't ever give up.

If you had enough money to live anywhere in the USA (only). Where would you stake a claim?

I am talking about being an avid hunter and fisher for both you and your spouse & family.

Personally Jill and I always wanted to live an area that was not too cold and not to hot, BUT had to be in an area Politically RED State Laws.

I know that a lot of you already live in GOD's Country and have fantastic places to live. Tell us you story.
For all of us that are still looking???

I have lived in NE PA – Born there and lived there until 17 then in the USMC. Great weather and people. Was one of the best States for Deer hunting. Neighboring States Residents would always hunt in PA. Everyone I knew growing up had the highest family morals. It's a BLUE State-Unions.

Then CT & New England – GREAT people along the NE coast. Great for fishing & bird hunting, have to get in the upper part of NE for Moose and big game. OLD USA and just beautiful seasons, great people. LOVED living there except- This is BLUE Country and not favorable for firearms so would not live there again. One of the BEST/Beautiful parts of North America to live in.

Lived in HI (10 years) hunted HOGS with SPEARS. Can't say much more than it is ABSOULTY PARADISE !!!!!! But not for a hunters' dream.

Currently living in GA. Can't get a better State for Hunting. Some Animal is always in Season and can hunt all year round. Just for Deer you can harvest (2) Bucks and (10) Does each season PLUS extra game areas for BUCKS. The Deer season is from Sept till Jan. I may be incorrect on this since I only hunt on my property for the past 12 years. In GA it has very mild winters, but the summers are brutal. It's 95 today and only June 14th​. Will be in the 100s the next few weeks and the humidity is what really hurts.

If Jill and I came into some money we would like to move to the Mid NW USA. A RED State where we could get a few hundred acres, have some livestock and a LOT of WILDERNESS close by so we could hunt Elk, Deer and Predators /Varmints. Not really too hot in the summers and have some snow in the winter.

Have a modest Log Cabin and a lake/stream close.

What is your HAPPY PLACE TO LIVE and HUNT & FISH?

Also if anyone hits the LOTO please keep us in mind and maybe front us a piece of land to put a Log Cabin on.

Thanks
Len & Jill
New Mexico is the place to be!!!

My wife Oklahoma, me Alaska. I know who is winning the war though. The older I get and with a bum leg with arthritis, warmer seems to help me get along better. I'm not even that old yet, but two steel plates about 20 screws, and a fused ankle I can tell when the weather is changing.

After a career as a truck driver. I have had the honor to look at just about all the states. Weather extremes can and will show up everywhere. Northeast georgia right outside of athens seems about right for me. I am 1 1/2 hours out of some fairly tall mountains or 6 hrs to the atlantic ocean. During these 100 degree days the mountain tops rarely ever get above 80. The last time we had any consecutive 100 degree days was 1981. We had a blizzard here in 1992. Rarely much snow in winter on average.
There are some states with prolonged extremes in weather. These areas are all over the country. No place is perfect. Georgia is not perfect, but i see a lot of storms die out when they reach here because of the mountains blocking off a lot of bad winter weather. We have not had measurable snow here in over 10 years now. But we can get cold here. In the late 70's we had a run of bad weather that stayed below 0 degrees here for over a week.
Everywhere looks good on the surface. The southeast has deer and wild hogs, but not much other game. Unless you like squirrels, rabbits, and bird hunting.
This is not to discourage people from living their dream. I am lucky to have 5 reserviors nearby to fish. I do own a house on the fartherist reservior away. Just a hours drive, but far enough away to hide out for awhile.