If you could move anywhere in the US where would you go?

So, I have been considering moving out of state (NY) after I finish my BA in nursing. I don't know where to go, I hate it here in NY, the liberals, taxes, laws etc.

Texas has really caught my eye as of late, for the shooting, hunting, and horses. Thing is, I have only been to San Antonio and El paso areas and they really did not do it for me. To much sand, I was thinking the north east part of the state anyone live there?

Other considerations would be the north west, as I lived out that was for some time and really have a fondness for it.
I totally understand your issues. I'm currently stuck in the Peoples Republic of California which I think beats NY on taxes, and don't get me started on guns and ammo laws. My plan is South Dakota, ( born in North Dakota ). Probably around Lake City ( I like to fish also ). Great duck and goose hunting, big deer, few people. Plan to buy small farm or recreational property and build a house & barn if needed.
Mike

California is a great state. Foodie Mecca, favorable climate, outstanding amenities and the list goes on.

Originally I came from Northern, NY. ...East Texas is a lot like NY woods, smaller trees except flatter. I miss the Mountains in NY, but I love hunting Texas and would never leave. I been here since 1981. I saw what was coming in NY, and got out of that apathy. My choices before coming to TX was Flagstaff AZ area, or Northern Louisiana. Ark is beautiful too. Oregon and Washington might be really nice too.
New York is crossed out of a free state and California too. Most important is we have the legal right to defend ourselves here, and it works.
Although this is from 2013 still worth commenting on from previous NY'er. I transferred to Michigan years from upstate NY and was best thing that happened for family. The Midwest is family friendly, great hunting, decent public land, access to Great Lakes, inland fishing great, schools good, taxes reasonable, and flat.🤣 Yes, I miss the mountains of eastern upstate NY, Adirondacks, Helderbergs and Catskills. Although NY is home, it is not what it once was and never will be again. Get the heck out and never look back.

Consider this, when you get old, you will HATE the extremes of Cold. We Moved from S. Ca to Arizona and absolutely loved it there, and it was a mistake to leave that state. Arizona is a Horseman's paradise. We hunted coyotes off of Mules and gaited horses, of course, did the big game thing. Hunting deer on the Blue River in the 4 Corners area, and along the S. Rim of the Grand Canyon is riding that you will never forget.

Consider this, when you get old, you will HATE the extremes of Cold. We Moved from S. Ca to Arizona and absolutely loved it there, and it was a mistake to leave that state. Arizona is a Horseman's paradise. We hunted coyotes off of Mules and gaited horses, of course, did the big game thing. Hunting deer on the Blue River in the 4 Corners area, and along the S. Rim of the Grand Canyon is riding that you will never forget.

Just how old …..is old? At 70, I may need to consider relocating! 😉 memtb

Aa we age, poor circulation or heart issues leade to folks living in Extremes of cold, "never getting warm": MANY would move it they could to a warmer climate.

SC has some of the strongest Castle Doctrine laws, and Gun laws in the nation with a mild climate where I live now and grew up. Deer limits in the state of SC is very liberal, and I have a dedicated freezer for deer meat.

California is a great state. Foodie Mecca, favorable climate, outstanding amenities and the list goes on.
Will sell you my house, let me know when you want to move here. Check gun laws, ammo laws, homeless, taxes, gas prices, Disneyuland is 12 miles from me, for all your fantasy hopes.
Mike

Aa we age, poor circulation or heart issues leade to folks living in Extremes of cold, "never getting warm": MANY would move it they could to a warmer climate.

SC has some of the strongest Castle Doctrine laws, and Gun laws in the nation with a mild climate where I live now and grew up. Deer limits in the state of SC is very liberal, and I have a dedicated freezer for deer meat.

I have a cousin that grew up in SC, a beautiful state no doubt…..but, has changed tremendously over the past 40 or 50 years. Changed…..not for the better! memtb

Don't come to the beautiful crime free Mississippi Delta, my friends.
It's turning into sub Saharan Africa by the minute

Phil, I hear ya and feel your pain! Almost all of my relatives, including kids, grandkid, and great grandkids live just north of Baton Rouge and my ex was from Laurel, MS. The majority of both states have gone sub-Saharan ( to hell ) and would be difficult to live in now.

I left La. in '85…..saw the "handwriting on the wall" and had a job opportunity in Wyoming! Other than leaving family…..no regrets! memtb