If you could move to any state for Hunting, what would it be?

teddy12b

I know a guy who is in a position where he may be looking for a new job. He's a hunter and outdoorsman and wants to know what state would be the best one for him to move to. He's never had a good paying job so he'll be hunting & fishing (mostly hunting) public land.

I'm not an expert on out west, but I've been there enough to tell the guy his best bet is either colorado, wyoming, or idaho. He has a wife & child so it can't be too remote.

What's the best place to move to for this guy?

I can't speak for Wyoming or CO, but I have lived in ID and I think Montana has hands down better hunting and fishing than ID. No offense to you ID guys. ID has a whole lot of public land but much of it isn't very accessable without outfitter etc., at least in the southern part of the state. Montana has a lot of public land that is very accessable. also if you get to know some folks, that can get you a long way too on private land. And as far as fishing goes, IMO there is simply no comparison.

I would recommend he look at the different state's hunting regs and opportunities online.

One other thing to consider...Montana is not the best state for work/employment. The average wage is very low compared to the rest of the country. If he can land a government job in the forest service, etc., he could get a good steady income with some benefits.

I would want some where with milder winters than those states...maybe south east Colorado? You're a resident but weather might be better.

Montana is terribly cold and our pay is so low here we have to recycle our beer cans to afford reloading supplies LOL:D
I'll vote for Alaska!!
Dirt cheap tags for residents plus all that pristine country.

I think Alaska may be too far away for this guy. I should have mentioned it earlier, but for the most part he's considering the lower 48. It's not out west but the Carolinas have long deer hunting rifle seasons and that's another option I mentioned to him.

The guys is already living paycheck to paycheck so it's not too big of a deal, but the paychecks have to cover the bills.

I'd move back to AZ, no question. Coues, Elk, Muley's, that state has some of the biggest of all of 'em.

I agree, Arizona has some of the best hunting in the country, BUT unless you are a young man you may not live long enough to draw a tag!!!:eek:
But that is how they keep such quality hunting.

Now if just like to Bowhunt, here in N. VA, Deer season opens first Sat. in Sept. and closes last Sat. in March, limit 2 deer per day, but only three bucks per season. Res deer tags $9.00 each.
Dave

I moved from the southeast to boise ,idaho and can tell you firsthand that i've been suprised at the low game animal numbers there .

If you could magically use google earth and scan the landscape and see an infrared image of all the game animals below -the number of animals per acre in idaho would not even compare the the number of game animals in the eastern/midwestern side of the nation.
I've walked countless miles and never see more than a sage sparrow and fleeing jackrabbit.

Wyoming seems to have a lot of antelope and mule deer but i'm not tuff enough to live there -and the real estate prices are beyond crazy -a mobile home on 1/2 acre =$110,000.

Some of the prettiest country i've seen is arkansas ,eastern oklahoma ,missouri -good hunting beautiful hardwoods .

Ol Mike, we otta get together some time. There's a lot of empty space between groups of animals. It takes a little getting used to.

As for me I'm here and I'm stayin'.

However, I've been thinking of a year and a half down in NZ would be pretty sweet.

ndnorm

this isnt the best kept secret its just that people cant handle the 0 to -60 below weather. they thnk we are crazy.we only get once in a liftime elk, moose and big horn and thats if you drawone in your lifetime.it usually takes 5-7 years to get a mule deer tag thats crazy got shoot does for that long to shoot a muley. its an ok place but western montana is on the top of my list even though i live in ND

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.