If you could move anywhere in the US where would you go?

Well I am still thinking this over every day, its a hard sell to the wife, she is not traveled at all and has no idea. I really don't see her leaving her job for another 13 years she just makes to much money, but she has agreed that after that we can move. The biggest draw for her is going to be horses and a strong horse community. She was into the English riding style and I hated it, the people suck! But lately last year or two she has been getting into the western stuff and working with a friend who is a trainer in some style after some guy named John Lyons. It has got me a whole lot more interested in riding with her and she has become a better teacher to me, I even got my first pair of boots a few years ago. I really need to get her out there on a trip to look around.

When we get to Wyoming, you and your wife can come anytime you like and she and my wife can ride all day long if she wants. You and I can go out and blast steel at ungodly ranges!! lol..

DocB

Originally I came from Northern, NY. ...East Texas is a lot like NY woods, smaller trees except flatter. I miss the Mountains in NY, but I love hunting Texas and would never leave. I been here since 1981. I saw what was coming in NY, and got out of that apathy. My choices before coming to TX was Flagstaff AZ area, or Northern Louisiana. Ark is beautiful too. Oregon and Washington might be really nice too.
New York is crossed out of a free state and California too. Most important is we have the legal right to defend ourselves here, and it works.

That's awesome, the issue with TX is the wife cant see her self in the heat. Having spent 3 years living in the middle east, I know the heat and that your body adapts very quickly to 140f, so fast in fact that when it drops to below 100f at night your looking for your jacket (crazy huh). I would much rather have the heat than the cold, which is opposite of when I was a child. I had been pushing the TX hill county to her very hard but she just cant see it. I have several friend in TX from the service and even a few from high school and they all love it.

When we get to Wyoming, you and your wife can come anytime you like and she and my wife can ride all day long if she wants. You and I can go out and blast steel at ungodly ranges!! lol..

DocB

Now that sounds great! I lived in VA for 3 years, nice state much better than NY unless you are around Richmond I suppose. Spent a few years in NC as well another great spot but I like you am just done with this side of the country and long for the memory's of the year I spent out in WA state.

You could always move to England!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:. We can Hunt Deer all Year round and ...........................oh, thats about it really.

Brit.

That's awesome, the issue with TX is the wife cant see her self in the heat. Having spent 3 years living in the middle east, I know the heat and that your body adapts very quickly to 140f, so fast in fact that when it drops to below 100f at night your looking for your jacket (crazy huh). I would much rather have the heat than the cold, which is opposite of when I was a child. I had been pushing the TX hill county to her very hard but she just cant see it. I have several friend in TX from the service and even a few from high school and they all love it.

Then Montana, Wyoming and Alaska are probably not for you :)

I am just the opposite. I hate heat and can deal with cold much better, especially dry Western cold. I hate Eastern humid cold. I'm with your wife. Texas heat and humidity would be too much. It's way different than the Middle East desert if that's where you were. I spent 4 years in Southern IL and hated it. Never adapted at all to that.

Maybe high altitude Northern New Mexico would be a good compromise.

Good luck.

There are some great places, at least for now. All I can really say for sure is GET THE HELL OUT OF NEW YORK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Randy

And Idaho is one of the last great places. But don't move here---too many people with guns............gun)
Look at Arkansas. We live in a real sleeper. Most folks carry. We are even more conservative than Texas. Most of the Liberals live in Little Rock. Here is the main problem with Texas besides the obvious. Texas has almost no public land. Arkansas has it in nearly every county seems like. It has many clear lakes for fishing and boating. The best brown trout fishery in the world. Great hunting for waterfowl and deer. Arkansas is also the only state that has both an Alligator season and an Elk season. Our Game and Fish is outstanding for creating and managing opportunity. Pretty cool. Really great opportunities for anyone who likes these things. The downside: It can get very hot and humid in the summer. Like the dew point can run in the 70's. It can get bitter cold in the winter... Down to 0 with high humidity. But it doesn't stay that way. Just when we get a bad cold front. We get more than our share of Tornadoes. Most folks don't like people from up north without a lot of vetting, so lose the accent asap though.....

Born and raised in East Texas, no plans to ever leave.

I do have relatives that live in NW Arkansas and SW Missouri in the Ozark Mts there and it is beautiful with beautiful lakes. We go there and float those beautiful rivers in the summer.

Really hard to get away from the heat unless you are actually at altitude in the mountains or live very far North. But just got back from South Dakota prairie dog shooting and it was hot there in the middle of the day. Probably 85 or so. Felt like E Tx to me except less humid!!!

As you said, you really get used to the heat and humidity if you are active outside year round. Good luck with your search.