where to start...?

O'swommie

Would like to ask those shooting a 210 berger vld out of a 300 rum with H1000. Specs call for an oal of 3.60. Using the hornady comparator I'm finding my depth touching the lands at 3.745. The gun has approx. 83 down the tube. One friend said the bergers like to be .010 inside the lands. With that said can anyone say yeah or neah ? Next question should i work up the charge or seating depth first?

No one can tell you where a bullet likes to be seated for a particular rifle. That is found through testing. Myself, I will test powder charge first with a seating depth around .020" off the rifling. Once I find the powder charge I am looking for, I will fine tune the seating depth. Generally speaking, powder charge will change your ES in velocities the most while your seating depth will change your grouping the most. So I find the powder charge that gives the least amount of velocity spread And then tune in thegrouping with seating depth changes.

Of course people Do it the other way By finishing seating depth first and then powder charge and find good loads as well. It's a debate that never dies.

Last edited:
Your rifle might like the Bergers close or far. I have a rifle that likes them about .090" off the lands. Each rifle is going to be different. I have developed loads starting with powder charge first and seating depth first. Found loads that shot well each way and didn't notice much difference between the 2 approaches. Start testing stuff and let your rifle tell you what it wants.

If you find you are having a hard time getting an accurate load with the 210 VLD try switching to the 215 hybrid target. Typically hybrids are not sensitive to seating depth like VLDs. My approach for a hybrid is to seat bullet to fit and feed from magazine and work up powder charge. To date I have yet found the need to tweak seating depth to improve accuracy. The 215 hybrid has quite a killing reputation and the BC is higher than the VLD.

Long thread on 215 taking animals when it first came out. (thanks again Broz)

Page 6 with first animal taken. Lots of information on bullet in early pages

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/comparing-the-berger-210-vld-to-the-215-hybrid.88657/page-6

Would like to ask those shooting a 210 berger vld out of a 300 rum with H1000. Specs call for an oal of 3.60. Using the hornady comparator I'm finding my depth touching the lands at 3.745. The gun has approx. 83 down the tube. One friend said the bergers like to be .010 inside the lands. With that said can anyone say yeah or neah ? Next question should i work up the charge or seating depth first?
If you're developing a hunting load, I wouldn't recommend jamming. 010, unless I'm misunderstanding. Agree with others, 215 target hybrids are better bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts