Where to start?

clark33

I am having a heck of a time getting my MOA Evolution 26 Nosler to shoot and I want to start all over from scratch. So, my question is where to start first. Should I find the charge it shoots the best first then do seating depth test or vice versa. I will be shooting 140gr Berger Elites. I also would like to know if you test charge weight first, what is your distance from lands when doing so with bergers?

Thanks

I've been in contact with the gunsmith down there at MOA Rifles and I wanted to give it one last try before I ship it back to them. I'm not new to reloading but there is a ton of knowledge here and would like to hear what you experienced reloaders do when find a load for a new rifle.

I have tried ladders. I have tried OCW. I have tried powder first. I have tried seating depth first. I do not think there is a correct answer. The problem I run into, which apparently others do not, is different powder charges prefer different seating depths so just because you start with parameter and find its sweet spot does not mean it will remain the same when you change the next parameter. You can what if this until the world ends. You will be stuck in analysis paralysis. If I were you I would seat the bullets at the lands and do a OCW at 100yds or a ladder at at least 400 yds. When you find the powder node then play with seating depth.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.