WHERE TO START?

8x68s

New rifle and cartridge... I'm looking for the least complicated approach to finding the best load. Does one start by loading one type of bullet and laddering charges first or pick a minimum load and an array of bullets at a starting load, all towards finding the most accurate bullet for the rifle?? I want to work on one attribute at a time in my search for the best load. Maximum range anticipated will be 500 yards. I reload but have never put much extra effort into figuring out "the best" load for a particular rifle.

If you start with a good bullet in the first place like a Berger, Hornady, or Sierra, you typically won't have to worry about picking another to find accuracy. Sometimes you get a picky barrel and you have to switch bullets. I'm not sure what cartridge you're loading for, but I always try to pick a heavy for caliber or medium-heavy for caliber bullet. Pick what bullet you want to shoot, and forget about it unless you never get it to shoot during load development.

Before i get in depth. Make sure you have a good rifle that is capable of good accuracy. Also, make sure you have a good setup for reloading and practice safe and good techniques.

My first objective after I have chosen my components is to find multiple sources of load data for the cartridge I'm loading. Some powder, bullet, cartridge combos I load for don't exist, so you have to have a good idea of burn rates, case capacities, and use other data to get you in the ballpark. If you're loading for something common, then find at least 2-3 sources of published load data for the bullet weight and powder you intend to use. Take the maximum powder charge of all three, and figure out the average max charge weight, say it's 50 grains. I always start about 3gr under their max charge, usually somewhere a little above minimum.

Once you have a starting and end point established, I load one round each from where I started to maximum. I load in 0.2 or 0.3gr increments all the way up to max. I then shoot each round over the chronograph, recording each shot in my log book and waiting 1-2 minutes before shooting another round. Once this is completed, I go back over my notes and look for charge weights with minimal changes in velocity. Say 48.5gr was 2850 and 48.7gr was 2848 and 48.9 was 2855fps. This is what's called a "node" or flat spot in velocity. Once you find this, load 5-10 rounds up in the middle of the node, so 48.7gr in my example, and then go chronograph those loads. This will verify you're shooting in a node. You're looking for an extreme spread ideally under 20FPS and standard deviation under 10FPS. Once you find this, it's time to move on to bullet seating depth.

Before even shooting a round, I find my lands with the bullet I intend to use. If I'm not limited by a magazine, I'll start 0.010 off the lands and do all of my velocity testing there. After I have my velocity node figured out, I'll test seating depth. I start with course adjustments of 0.010 and work away from the lands. I shoot 3 each from 0.010 off to 0.050 off. From there I'll pick out what grouped the best. Let's say 0.030 off shot the best. If you're satisfied with accuracy, then load your ammo at 0.030 off and be a happy camper. If you're note satisfied, but 0.030 was still better than the others, seat bullets at 0.025 off and 0.035 off and test them. If you're still not satisfied, pick which seat length was best, say 0.035 off, and load ammo at 0.033 off and 0.037 off the lands. Go test these. If you still aren't satisfied, try a different bullet or powder.

Look up Dan Newberry OCW method on the web. It is a very good approach to finding a load for a particular bullet. I just learned of it today and will try it soon with my new setup. It's possible to get it done in approx twenty shots or so. Actually a search for OCW on this site might work

My first objective after I have chosen my components is to find multiple sources of load data for the cartridge I'm loading. Some powder, bullet, cartridge combos I load for don't exist, so you have to have a good idea of burn rates, case capacities, and use other data to get you in the ballpark. If you're loading for something common, then find at least 2-3 sources of published load data for the bullet weight and powder you intend to use. Take the maximum powder charge of all three, and figure out the average max charge weight, say it's 50 grains. I always start about 3gr under their max charge, usually somewhere a little above minimum.

Once you have a starting and end point established, I load one round each from where I started to maximum. I load in 0.2 or 0.3gr increments all the way up to max. I then shoot each round over the chronograph, recording each shot in my log book and waiting 1-2 minutes before shooting another round. Once this is completed, I go back over my notes and look for charge weights with minimal changes in velocity. Say 48.5gr was 2850 and 48.7gr was 2848 and 48.9 was 2855fps. This is what's called a "node" or flat spot in velocity. Once you find this, load 5-10 rounds up in the middle of the node, so 48.7gr in my example, and then go chronograph those loads. This will verify you're shooting in a node. You're looking for an extreme spread ideally under 20FPS and standard deviation under 10FPS. Once you find this, it's time to move on to bullet seating depth.

Before even shooting a round, I find my lands with the bullet I intend to use. If I'm not limited by a magazine, I'll start 0.010 off the lands and do all of my velocity testing there. After I have my velocity node figured out, I'll test seating depth. I start with course adjustments of 0.010 and work away from the lands. I shoot 3 each from 0.010 off to 0.050 off. From there I'll pick out what grouped the best. Let's say 0.030 off shot the best. If you're satisfied with accuracy, then load your ammo at 0.030 off and be a happy camper. If you're note satisfied, but 0.030 was still better than the others, seat bullets at 0.025 off and 0.035 off and test them. If you're still not satisfied, pick which seat length was best, say 0.035 off, and load ammo at 0.033 off and 0.037 off the lands. Go test these. If you still aren't satisfied, try a different bullet or powder.
You are going to see both opinions on here, some will suggest distance off lands ladder first and others like Jud above will do load charge to find your flat spot in barrel node first. I sunscribe to the load charge first and then distance to lands as the fine tune. Either way you will locate your barrels "sweet spot" and the rest is fine tuning. When I get to this point I test federal match and cci benchrest as well as WLR and a magnum primer to see again what the rifle and load like. Good Shooting Dave

As the reloader, you define the parameters of your requirement. I keep mine simple ...

1. "I" Pick the bullet I want to shoot, i.e., Berger, Hornady, Nosler ...
2. "I" get the corresponding reloading manual for #1 (if available). This is an excellent baseline to start with as they already have done the majority of the safe published loads. You can also call them directly and as for the latest load recommendations (after manual publication). The guys at Berger are very helpful.
3. "I" get the powder recommendation(s) and let the fun begin ...

My personal recommendation would be to find a basic flat base cup and core (interlock, hot core, pro hunter) and whatever single base imr stick powder gives 100 to near 100 percent load density.

might not be the most accurate load but it certainly will be good, a reasonable indicator of "what she can do" potential wise, it will tell you what you need to know, least finicky "truth telling" combo in my experience. A good yardstick to measure future loads against.

My personal recommendation would be to find a basic flat base cup and core (interlock, hot core, pro hunter) and whatever single base imr stick powder gives 100 to near 100 percent load density.

might not be the most accurate load but it certainly will be good, a reasonable indicator of "what she can do" potential wise, it will tell you what you need to know, least finicky "truth telling" combo in my experience. A good yardstick to measure future loads against.
To add to this, my experience is based on just a few cartridges, but I have yet to see anything shoot better accuracy wise in my 270 than a 130 interlock sitting on a lightly compressed load of 7828, my .243 does its best shooting to date with flat base 100 grain soft points of any kind, and a very fussy .220 swift was made to shine to its potential, after playing with a few boat tails and newer "better" powders once I fed it 55 grain flat base bullets on top of a full case of 4064.

as I have not used a "method" approach before, I'm going to try the OCW test. following the procedure will be a way to start and that's what I was looking for. Thank you to all of you who have passed along your knowledge.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.