Where to start

njdiverdan

I am very new to this site and to reloading for precision / long range shooting. I have the following calibers that I am working on for reloads:

22-250, 223, 280 ai and 7mm rem mag. What are some good resources to follow (other than this great website)? I have been watching Panhandle Precision's Youtube videos and those have been very helpful, but at this stage I do not know what I don't know.

Thank you,

-dan

I think a baseline would have to be established first. You load now and your rifles shoot how well? What are the current steps you're taking or what's your process? What type of rifles are these stock hunting rifles, custom hunting rifles, competition rifles? You get my point, just need a bit more info.

Got it. I have loaded, but not very much. To the point that for all the rifles listed above I mostly shoot factory ammo.

These are stock hunting rifles. I am just getting into re-loading for rifles and plan to spend much more time behind the trigger. As for process, basically all I have done is follow the RCBS instructions and follow a reloading manual.

I am really not good enough behind the trigger to say how well the rifles shoot, but I will say, better than I can. I can get sub MOA 3 shot groups (barely) with factory ammo.

My long term goal (after I put the time in) is to try to develop the best load for each rifle. Develop "dope" and stretch out my distance on them. Short term, get more trigger time with the 223 for practice to get better on the others.

Got it. I have loaded, but not very much. To the point that for all the rifles listed above I mostly shoot factory ammo.

These are stock hunting rifles. I am just getting into re-loading for rifles and plan to spend much more time behind the trigger. As for process, basically all I have done is follow the RCBS instructions and follow a reloading manual.

I am really not good enough behind the trigger to say how well the rifles shoot, but I will say, better than I can. I can get sub MOA 3 shot groups (barely) with factory ammo.

My long term goal (after I put the time in) is to try to develop the best load for each rifle. Develop "dope" and stretch out my distance on them. Short term, get more trigger time with the 223 for practice to get better on the others.
I think you are on the right track-particularly with your last sentence. Your post really made me realize how lucky i have been. My dad having me "helping him" reload are among my earliest memories. Going on 5 decades now i kind of take for granted what I "know" :) ! But I do learn new stuff all the time. This site is very good as is accurateshooter.com.
Be safe and good luck!

Here is a really good read.

Don't overcomplicate things, and practice dry-fire at least as much as live-fire - for me, this is the best way I've found to improve as a shooter because without recoil I can see my errors in the scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts